Menu

Put that in Writing? (curriculum)

I used it with my son -- it was a great fit and within a couple of months I saw real improvement in his writing.

For my daughter, it was a flop.

I think it works well for kids who are not naturally good writers, and not for kids who write well already.

I also think it works best for students with an... 'orderly' personality -- those who don't mind repetition and perhaps the kind of kid who likes 'checklist' sort of work.... not too sure about this part, though.

HTH

Debbie

I used it with my son -- it was a great fit and within a couple of months I saw real improvement in his writing.

For my daughter, it was a flop.

I think it works well for kids who are not naturally good writers, and not for kids who write well already.

I also think it works best for students with an... 'orderly' personality -- those who don't mind repetition and perhaps the kind of kid who likes 'checklist' sort of work.... not too sure about this part, though.

HTH

Debbie

This is exactly why I am going to use it with ds! He is VERY orderly---and the Writesource that has worked so well with creative dd just won't fly with him. I have started and quit using Writesource with him twice now because he just fights it so hard----while dd would kill me if I changed her from it :tongue_smilie: A lot of the PTIW topics look nice and dry and technical---right up his alley ;)

This is exactly why I am going to use it with ds! He is VERY orderly---and the Writesource that has worked so well with creative dd just won't fly with him. I have started and quit using Writesource with him twice now because he just fights it so hard----while dd would kill me if I changed her from it :tongue_smilie: A lot of the PTIW topics look nice and dry and technical---right up his alley ;)

My soon to be 8th grader is very orderly too. My older one is very creative and I think WriteSource will be fine for her, but my younger one hates it. Thanks!

I was just looking into this today. I do not wish to hijack the thread, but do you have to complete level 1 in order to do level 2? The first few units of level 2 are a review of level 1. I was wondering if it were enough. I really like how straight forward it seems to teach an essay.

Edited by atozmom
error

I was just looking into this today. I do not wish to hijack the thread, but do you have to complete level 1 in order to do level 2? The first few units of level 2 are a review of level 1. I was wondering if it were enough. I really like how straight forward it seems to teach and essay.

My 9th grader will be starting with Level 2.

Level one (paragraphs) is 7th-12th. Level two (essays) is 9th-12th. I heard from a gal I know that used it with her dd and she said it was way advanced than she had ever seen from a high school writing program.

Okay, then maybe i'll use Level one with my 11th grader and then level 2 for 12th grade and wait on it with my 8th grader, using Winning with Writing most likely. How does that sound?

Level one (paragraphs) is 7th-12th. Level two (essays) is 9th-12th. I heard from a gal I know that used it with her dd and she said it was way advanced than she had ever seen from a high school writing program.

I already ordered level 2. It is on its way now. I hope its not too hard. :confused: Essays are the one thing dd has a hard time with. Really hard will not be a good fit. I guess I'll find out when it gets here. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, then maybe i'll use Level one with my 11th grader and then level 2 for 12th grade and wait on it with my 8th grader, using Winning with Writing most likely. How does that sound?

Winning With Writing was my choice until I found PTIW for my 9th grader as she REALLY needs essay writing. I may stretch Level 2 out over 2 years if it gets too heavy for her.

I have not heard input on Level 1 to know if it is a heavy or not. But I could see a 12th grader doing Level 2 if he needed the skill.

I already ordered level 2. It is on its way now. I hope its not too hard. :confused: Essays are the one thing dd has a hard time with. Really hard will not be a good fit. I guess I'll find out when it gets here. :tongue_smilie:

If you have the luxury of time, you can spread it out past one year.

If you have the luxury of time, you can spread it out past one year.

Thank you. :) After receiving my copy today, we will be doing just that. If we did it all in a year, I think dd would revolt. :lol: