Menu

Anyone with a very musical kid? What career options should I guide him towards?

He currently plays 4 instruments. Plays in worship team at church. Can play by ear and reads notes - has perfect pitch. He really is extremely gifted in music and thinks outside the box. He is adhd with aspergers tendencies. Very creative in the tortured soul kind of way. LOL

He wants to be a musician and tour someday. He loves history along with music. I'll be honest and say that touring with a band somewhere has never been my dream for any of my kids.

If he makes that choice later that is fine, until then how should I direct/guide him? I'm thinking college, etc. He had one teacher that felt he would be a great conductor. I'm not overly musical, and really have no idea how to guide him at this point besides making sure he has a good education hitting all the core subjects.

What instruments does he play? What kind of musician does he want to be? Is he thinking about going to a conservatory?

Guitar, mandolin, piano, accordian. Really if there is an instrument he picks it up and takes off with it. His may be moving past his current teacher now as well. What is a conservatory? I am woefully uneducated when it comes to music. :(

I would look for other gifts that he had that you could cultivate that works well with music. One that many combine with music is teaching. The college I went to had a Music/Business major. If he is good at writing, then he might be able to go into writing about music.

If he is really talented, then someplace like Julliard might work better for him than a regular college.

I would look for other gifts that he had that you could cultivate that works well with music. One that many combine with music is teaching. The college I went to had a Music/Business major. If he is good at writing, then he might be able to go into writing about music.

If he is really talented, then someplace like Julliard might work better for him than a regular college.

I think teaching is a great idea. He wants to play. Should I encourage him to pursue a more classical instrument? His social skills are not great due to adhd/aspergers. I worry about this kid a lot, but I think I need to start focusing more on his skills and gifts.

What is a conservatory? I am woefully uneducated when it comes to music. :(

A conservatory is a university that focuses on developing students into becoming professional musicians (performance, composition, etc.) -- like Juilliard.

If he's serious about music and it is his passion, why not run with it? If your ds is outgrowing his teacher, the first step is to get another teacher.