Menu

Cake decorators unite! DD needs a recipe for fondant.

If possible, she is looking for a very firm but moldable fondant and one that at least doesn't taste completely AWFUL!

I purchased some fondant at Michael's just for her to use enough to get a feel for it. But, it's for a 4-H baking competition so she'll need to make her own from scratch.

The fondant will be used to form the frame of a stained glass window (based on the main window in our living room - we're the ones with the renovated 113 year old church for a house) which she is making out of colored glass candy, and will be inserted with supports into a cake which will form the brick structure of our living room front.

Thanks a bunch!

Faith

My friend who decorates cakes makes marshmallow fondant. I think it's just nuked marshmallows and confectioner's sugar.

She may want to use gum paste, though. That's what is used for 3-D flowers and such.

Here's the fondant. It does taste less disgusting than the box stuff.

http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/mm_fondant.htm

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

My experience is that marshmallow fondant (either with or without candy melts added) does not harden enough to stand on its own. But it does taste much better than commercial fondant.

I second using gumpaste. That's what I'd use for a frame like you describe.