Menu

For those using Ambleside Online in part for early years...

EmilyGF

Did you use only the literature selections or the history selections, too?

My ds 6.5 needs to learn to narrate. It isn't going to be easy for him. It REALLY won't, but it will be importation for him for his whole life.

My plan for next year is basically RS math, WRTR, and reading selections to narrate. I since CM is based on narration, I figured CM book selections will be perfect for narration.

What is your opinion of the history selections?

Thanks,

Emily

We are definitely using the literature suggestions, and I am trying to figure out which of the history selections I want to use. I don't think I will plan to use all that is laid out b/c with everything else we are doing, I worry it will be too much. My focus this year will be heavy on the literature side for sure. We loosely did the Year 0 materials last year and will begin the AO Year 1 schedule next month when we start First Grade!

I use quite a bit of Ambleside, but I don't do the history. I use SOTW. There are some threads on this board about This Country of Ours (TCOO)...I encourage you to search those out.

If he's 6.5yo, and you foresee narration struggles, I'd hold off on AO year 1 for another year. Practice telling back stories together for fun before jumping into "work." Does he do much imaginative play? When my dc act out a story with their toys, I *totally* count that as "narration."

Act it out, do puppet shows together, tell Daddy the new story, give him toys that coordinate with the reading (Little House books and Lincoln Logs, Beatrix Potter stories and stuffed bunnies, Winnie the Pooh toys...you get the idea...), let him draw and color, and let the narrations come as naturally as possible at the tender age of 6.5.