Menu

ALL for my 7th grader?

I'm really in a quandry. We used R&S 5 for 6th grade to fill in some holes and lay a strong foundation. My plan was to move over completely to WWS & ALL for 7th grade this coming year, but my assumption was that it would be released with all four levels. Now that I know that only Level 1 is available, I'm wondering about grammar for dd. After doing well with R&S 5 this past year, wouldn't it be overkill to put her in Level 1 of the new program? Then when she's in 8th grade, she'd only be at Level 2 of ALL. :lol:

I just don't know what to do! Maybe I should have held on to that R&S 6 that I just sold not long ago. I'm actually thinking about buying another set to use just for grammar and pair it up with WWS for composition.

Any ideas?

Blessings,

Lucinda

My DD11 - 6th grade, started R&S 5 this past year, but I had to take her down to R&S 4, because 5 moved too fast. It was our first year doing grammar, as I tend to lean a little toward agreeing with CM in the grammar department(although I am starting my boys at 4th grade, not 6th). That being said, we are going to start this summer with Growing With Grammar 5, double-time, so we will finished before Christmas, when all of level 1 ALL should be out. Then I will go to it, and I will double up on lessons as long as I can, hoping that 6 will be out next summer to get a head start on it. I really like the fact that ALL and WWS are supposed to coincide, but this year may not match up.

My daughter will not be finished ALL or WWS until 10th grade - or maybe a little sooner if it gets released so we can work on it during the summers. I don't think that is a bad thing. I am more interested in grammar(language) mastery, than rushing through levels. I think you would be fine to do ALL and WWS this year, and if you are wondering what to do until all of level 1 of ALL comes out, you could always get some of R&S's English worksheets to do review.

My daughter will not be finished ALL or WWS until 10th grade - or maybe a little sooner if it gets released so we can work on it during the summers. I don't think that is a bad thing. I am more interested in grammar(language) mastery, than rushing through levels. I think you would be fine to do ALL and WWS this year, and if you are wondering what to do until all of level 1 of ALL comes out, you could always get some of R&S's English worksheets to do review.

Thank you, Roxanne! As I read your post I breathed a sigh of relief because I think you are right! Even as I attended our local homeschool conference this weekend I searched high and low, not seeing anything that would be a good fit for us for grammar. I was sure to look through R&S 6 again too, and I realized it really isn't what I'm looking for. So after all that, I think I just may go ahead and stick with my plans to do ALL.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Thank you, Roxanne! As I read your post I breathed a sigh of relief because I think you are right! Even as I attended our local homeschool conference this weekend I searched high and low, not seeing anything that would be a good fit for us for grammar. I was sure to looked through R&S 6 again too, and I realized it really isn't what I'm looking for. So after all that, I think I just may go ahead and stick with my plans to do ALL.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am glad I could help. I sometimes get caught up in feeling like we are behind grade levels, but when I take a few moments to breathe, I realize that some things like grammar and writing need to be mastered and practiced continually. I keep reminding myself that it isn't a race we are running, it is a process. I also have no doubt that my DD(and DSs for that matter), are going to be much better prepared for high school and college level classes than some of their counterparts, due to the quality of curriculum(or is it curricula) that we as homeschoolers have, as compared with the school system. Add that to the fact that we can meet our children where they are at and work with them one on one, we can't help but produce bright, capable children.

Can I ask a question? If you had it to do over again would you use R&S5 or just start with ALL? We started R&S5 late last year of 5th grade. We take a month off over summer and are set to start again first of July. I was planning on continuing with R&S but dd11 really doesn't like it. I just viewed the samples of ALL and I think she would love it, and we will be using WWS. So what would you all do? Don't mean to high jack!!

Can I ask a question? If you had it to do over again would you use R&S5 or just start with ALL? We started R&S5 late last year of 5th grade. We take a month off over summer and are set to start again first of July. I was planning on continuing with R&S but dd11 really doesn't like it. I just viewed the samples of ALL and I think she would love it, and we will be using WWS. So what would you all do? Don't mean to high jack!!

another high jack! When will ALL and WWS first be available to buy and use. I know they said PDF files will be available for purchase in the fall, but has anyone heard when in fall? September, October, or November? I am wanting to finalize my plans for next school year and need to know if I should look for something to use before these come out. Thanks!

I am not sorry in the least that we did R&S5. It is a very thorough program, although I did skip much of the writing assignments and used TOG writing lessons instead. My dd wasn't all that thrilled with R&S, but she did learn a lot this past year. We were looking to filling in some holes that were there from previous grammar curriculum we'd used, and R&S did a great job for what we needed. Now having said that, I think that if I were in the same situation as you I'd be very interested in switching over to ALL at the same time I begin WWS too. If you think your dd would like it better, it may make all the difference in the world to her.

another high jack! When will ALL and WWS first be available to buy and use. I know they said PDF files will be available for purchase in the fall, but has anyone heard when in fall? September, October, or November? I am wanting to finalize my plans for next school year and need to know if I should look for something to use before these come out. Thanks!

It's my understanding that the complete downloads will be available this fall and printed books in Dec./Jan. or thereabouts. There are samples available for both now, so you may want to download from the links I'm providing. Here is the link to WWS samples, and here is the link to ALL samples. Both samples contain quite a few weeks worth of lessons so you could actually use them to get started until the final downloads are available.

Blessings,

Lucinda