Menu

Secular logic?

Has anyone used The Snake and The Fox: An Introduction to Logic? Would this be worth 1/2 of a credit?

Thanks,

Karen

I just gave my child copies of "The Snake and the Fox" and "The Art of Reasoning" to choose between. He choose Snake because its red. :glare: I will now pass the decision to ds15 and see if he has better reasoning in making his choice.

I just gave my child copies of "The Snake and the Fox" and "The Art of Reasoning" to choose between. He choose Snake because its red. :glare: I will now pass the decision to ds15 and see if he has better reasoning in making his choice.

:lol: Logic might be a good course. We need to do one here too. :)

• 2 months later...
DD14 is using Introduction to Logic by Gensler and really enjoying it. She's done the first half of the book this year and will be finishing it off next year. It's a university level course and very well written, IMO. Plus, it's very reasonably priced. :)

Aquinas Academy - Had your daughter had any exposure to logic prior to using Gensler's book?

We are currently using this: http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=p&id=01201

It's not exactly "classical" in its orientation, but we've done fine with it.

My son did this one with his co-op. I'm wondering what would make it "classical"? I look at all the different logic books and they all seem like they have the exact same things in them, including this one. Just curious what I'm not seeing.

Julie

My son did this one with his co-op. I'm wondering what would make it "classical"? I look at all the different logic books and they all seem like they have the exact same things in them, including this one. Just curious what I'm not seeing.

Julie

It's more how they talk about the program and terminology. I think in the end the student learns the same or similar skills, I'm just not sure they learn all the vocabulary. However, logic is not a subject I've either studied myself or studied much about. We had been using the Building Thinking Skills materials for years and this was the logical next step so I just bought it. I wasn't really thinking "logic" program at the time.

It's more how they talk about the program and terminology. I think in the end the student learns the same or similar skills, I'm just not sure they learn all the vocabulary. However, logic is not a subject I've either studied myself or studied much about. We had been using the Building Thinking Skills materials for years and this was the logical next step so I just bought it. I wasn't really thinking "logic" program at the time.

Yes, the Critical Thinking book doesn't ever say it's a "logic" course. But really, it looks the same as the other logic books I have around here. Maybe even includes more than most of the first level "logic" ones.

Is it an easy supplement to add to a high school schedule?

Georgia, I see the board in linear view so without a quote I can't quite tell who you are addressing this to.

If it is me, I assign this to my student to do two lessons (sections) a week. We have a daily check your work and do any teaching from me time and we check them together. It appears based on the teacher's guide that they expect me to interact with him on this and you could do that, but I don't.

Secular logic...does this mean that Memoria Press's Logic courses contain religious content? I was planning to have my ds do their Traditional Logic course this year, but now I'm hesitating. I understand that MP is a Christian publisher, but I wasn't expecting there to be CC in the Logic course.

OP or others, if you are looking for a "secular" Logic course, could you tell me which ones aren't secular?

Thanks!

Aquinas Academy - Had your daughter had any exposure to logic prior to using Gensler's book?

Yes, she started logic in 5th grade and had used materials from the Bluedorn's and CAP (neither of which are secular). I'm not sure I'd recommend Gensler to a 9th grader with no previous logic experience; a 10th or 11th grader would probably be fine with it.

Yes, she started logic in 5th grade and had used materials from the Bluedorn's and CAP (neither of which are secular). I'm not sure I'd recommend Gensler to a 9th grader with no previous logic experience; a 10th or 11th grader would probably be fine with it.

Thanks for the reply. I may have him work through MM Press's Traditional Logic I and II first.

• 2 months later...
Secular logic...does this mean that Memoria Press's Logic courses contain religious content? I was planning to have my ds do their Traditional Logic course this year, but now I'm hesitating. I understand that MP is a Christian publisher, but I wasn't expecting there to be CC in the Logic course.

Yes, it has quite a bit of religious content. Several secular types here have found it unusable.