Menu

Nursing moms, please be careful with what painkillers you take.

It sounds like this mother was abusing the drug and not taking a prescribed amount. Many drugs are safe to take while BFing in the proper amounts.

Any nursing mom who has a question about medications can contact a LLL Leader for information. The book Medications and Mother's Milk by Dr. Hale is an excellent resource as well.

Woah!!! The situation of the woman in the article and a slow morphine drip administered by a physician are *completely* different scenarios! You *can* take morphine is a safe, prescribed manner while breastfeeding. Please do not draw incorrect conclusions and distribute incorrect information based upon this article.

http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/morphine.html

Morphine is excreted into human milk in trace amounts. Adverse effects in the nursing infant are unlikely. Morphine is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Woah!!! The situation of the woman in the article and a slow morphine drip administered by a physician are *completely* different scenarios! You *can* take morphine is a safe, prescribed manner while breastfeeding. Please do not draw incorrect conclusions and distribute incorrect information based upon this article.

I never said they were the same... I am just saying it is scary. That is all. The potential for overdose is always there.

Correct!

I never said they were the same... I am just saying it is scary. That is all. The potential for overdose is always there.

Um. No. It is not always there. Taking morphine in proper doses for valid medical reasons for a proper duration of time while under a drs care for a valid medical pain need completely avoids any issue of overdose.

I was on a combo of morphine, percocet, and 800 mg motrin after the c/s I had last week. It didn't even make me sleepy and it certainly didn't affect, much less harm my baby. In fact, it was highly beneficial to establishing nursing and healing without excessive pain and stress.

New nursing mother's need to be aware and make an effort to educate themselves, but most of the time, they shouldn't feel scared to have their pain managed reasonably.

New nursing mother's need to be aware and make an effort to educate themselves, but most of the time, they shouldn't feel scared to have their pain managed reasonably.

I agree, and that is the danger here. Educate themselves? Absolutely. Scare themselves based on a case where a woman was illegally obtaining and using from as many sources as humanly possible? No.