Menu

Applying Early - should we?

mooooom

My son received a letter from a University he is interested in offering him the opportunity to apply early - by July 15th, non binding, with waived admission fee. They say early consideration could lead to more scholarship potential?

Anyone think this is a good idea? He doesn't have an essay yet, and is at camp for a week, so it wouldn't leave a long time for writing one (obviously I will not let him do it if he doesn't have a good one written by then). He is thrilled with the idea because he would know at least one school will admit him early and he thinks it would make the process of applying to other schools easier on him if he already has a YES from one school.

My big concern is that he is scheduled to take SATs for a 2nd time in Oct - and I'm hoping he can get his scores up by at least 100 points which, from what I can tell might put him at the next level up for scholarships (which we will really need - I'm the one with 3 kids going in at once). The school already has his scores from the SAT in March - we used it as one of his free ones.

Also, we would have to scramble for references (people have been asked, but told we wouldn't need them until the fall). And I don't want to ask for them twice - can all schools be sent references in the summer - will they save them for the rest of the application to catch up?

Is there any advantage (besides psychological) for applying this early. I was planning on them submitting all their applications at about the time their SAT scores were back in mid November.

I think he should consider it. It is a non-binding offer and waives the fee. That's pretty good. If he raises his test score he can send the new score to the university and ask them to reconsider any scholarships based on the new score. Most schools will do that.

It would take some pressure off him if he receives an acceptance letter early, so that psychological aspect should be considered. I can't think of any downside to applying early. It will allow your ds more time to apply to other schools because one application will already be completed.

It wasn't due until Oct so we had more time than you but it too was non binding. She did actually end up going to that school. The bonus for us to apply early was that at this school the aid is given out on first come first serve basis and so she was able to get a lot more financial aid that those that waited till later. As to the scores, she too took her SAT test in Oct. They said it would not count against her. Once she was admitted she was admitted and if her scores got better they just adjusted those when dealing with the aid process. I think you should go for it especially if it's non binding.

If it's a school he's interested in, I'd have him apply when it's free. It doesn't take that long to pull everything together (at least it didn't for us).

Middle son will be applying to one school in July when they offer free applications with a pre-med presentation at the college.

Applying in the summer is a great idea! Dd did this with two schools, and it was so nice to have those applications out of the way before she began her schoolwork for her senior year. An added plus is that perhaps those your student asks to write recommendations, such as co-op teachers, etc., might not be as busy now as in the school year, as long as they aren't away on vacation.

GardenMom