Menu

So I totally just bought a giant whiteboard at Costco...

eloquacious

... to use with the Jolly Phonics magnets I have ordered, for spelling our Phonics Pathways / OPGTR / Word Mastery words. This little dude is on track to read at a 3rd-5th grade level by the time he enters first grade, and he may be in 2nd or 3rd grade math... he is doing K math now at 3. My husband would like to send him to a school, but I wonder what on earth would a school DO with him??

So, having agreed to homeschool through kindergarten, I will attempt to show my husband how indispensable this home education is. And the giant whiteboard? To me it's sort of symbolic that what we're doing is legit... we've moved beyond the Melissa and Doug whiteboard/chalkboard combination, though my son can use that as his personal "spelling space."

Very true, and I'm not pushing so much as going along. So far he enjoys it, and it consists of playing with iPad games or manipulatives, or else spelling with magnets which is just plain fun for him. Most of our "school" time consists of snuggles and books from the Sonlight P3/4 and the Good Books Nursery curriculum.

:thumbup1: Just be careful not to push your son to work when he doesn't want to because it's hard to relight the love of learning once it's been extinguished by pushing too hard, too soon.

Yep, I agree with this. There will most likely be a point where you'll have to take a little break just to let his body catch up to his brain. My daughter was like him at 3 and we had to take a bit of a break to let her body catch up to her brain. Now she's ready to go full steam ahead again. ;)

It was $17ish at Sam's, though I think it didn't come with the markers? I vaguely remember buying a package of markers and cleaning stuff. This was last fall. I store my AAS magnets on it.

I want to get a bigger board for the wall. I just can't think of a good place to put it where it will fit and be accessible... except my bedroom, and I really don't want a white board in the bedroom. :tongue_smilie:

We have school desks (3 of them) in my living room. There just isn't any WALL space for a white board except the wall where the piano is going when we get it at Christmas time. I can't exactly write on the white board while standing over a piano. :glare: I love the natural light of my house, but man, sometimes I just need a WALL. :lol:

I know what you mean... the only usable wall space is occupied by giant bookshelves. ;) I'm going to use the smaller easel whiteboard we have to stand it up when we use it and otherwise store it in the hallway closet. Perhaps someday, if we do decide to homeschool (as I said, my husband is still on the fence and leaning towards the classical charter/classical Christian school idea) I will get a space dedicated to schooling. We are thinking of having another child and part of me wishes we will have a third boy so I can dump them all in one bedroom and use the other one as the play/school room. ;)

We are thinking of having another child and part of me wishes we will have a third boy so I can dump them all in one bedroom and use the other one as the play/school room. ;)

That's another option I've considered. :lol: Currently, the third boy is in his own room, but we plan to move him into the other boys' room... maybe in another year. We would then make the old room a "play room". I've thought about making it a school room. I just don't know if I want the school room to be upstairs, away from everything. On one hand, it'd be less distracting... we could go in there and get in "school mode" and get things done. On the other hand, sometimes it's nice to be able to start DS on his math, then run over to the laundry room and reboot that, then come back to check on him. But then again, going up and down the stairs several times a day might help me shed the extra 50 lbs I'm carrying. :tongue_smilie:

There is PLENTY of wall space in that bedroom. I could seriously do a white board along one big huge wall. There is only one window on one wall, and one window on another wall. The third wall is clear, the 4th side has door, closet, and weird inset area next to an attic entrance. But that one big wall... oh it'd be so nice!

Maybe I should move baby out of his crib and start that process toward moving to the big boy room... :lol:

Ahem, just to illustrate this child's voraciousness for reading lessons: he just woke up from his afternoon nap screaming "Waaah! Mama!" in agony. I thought he'd fallen out of bed or something similar, only to discover that he was crying because yesterday I hadn't let him finish his "movie about complex words." (Code Word Caper from Leapfrog)