Menu

Planning Geography

OK - I think I have a Geography plan for my 6th and 8th graders. I am planning to use Brimwood for the first 16 weeks of school and then world geography for 20 weeks.

1. Geography Songs - we've used these casually over the years but they have forgotten a lot, especially in Africa!

2. Maps, Charts, Graphs G: The World for map skills. There are 42 lessons, so 2-3 per week.

3. Usborne Geography Encyclopedia - I took a few out from the library - Usborne, DK, Kingfisher, etc. and they liked the Usborne one the best. I also have the Answer Atlas and a big tablecloth-sized map and I am looking for a reasonable sized globe.

4. Research. I plan to give them a list of information they will have to research for each continent. My 8th grader will write some papers on some countries of her choice...I still have to decide how many. My 5th grader will probably do lists of information for more countries. I might pick up the Trail Guide or Around the World in 180 Days if I can get them used for more ideas or one of those notebook page products.

5. Reading - I have several novels (The Endless Steppe, The Incredible Journey, A Singles Shard, etc.) that they will just read.

We're doing Earth and Space Science this year so I think that we will get enough Physical Geography that way.

What am I forgetting?

You should check out Knowledge Quest.

I have two of their books: Map Trek- Atlas and outline Maps of World History and Expedition Earth- My Passport to the World. Both come with CDs. Another program I have created by Knowledge Quest is Global Mania. Global Mania is free when you sign up for their newsletter.

Also another great site for quiz games is http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/. At the top you will see several choices, two of which are USA and World. These are the two geography sections. Great fun!