Menu

Need motivation!

parias1126

The kids and I finished school pretty early. It's been awhile since we have done anything (other then them reading books or drawing in their own playtime). I'm just content without doing anything which is very bad. We have been having so much fun going to swimming lessons, the movies, out to dinner several times a week, etc. Now my oldest daughter has been in the hospital with her 6 week old because he is very sick so it's very quiet around here. My last week consists of running back and forth to the hospital which is almost an hour from my house.

I just have not One ounce of motivation to start school anytime soon. We have company coming in this week, took a vacation to see family last week. Just hoping I get more motivated very soon. We were supposes to start early because we finished so early. I have planning to do, books to order, filing to do, etc.

I need some motivation!

The kids and I finished school pretty early. It's been awhile since we have done anything (other then them reading books or drawing in their own playtime). I'm just content without doing anything which is very bad. We have been having so much fun going to swimming lessons, the movies, out to dinner several times a week, etc. Now my oldest daughter has been in the hospital with her 6 week old because he is very sick so it's very quiet around here. My last week consists of running back and forth to the hospital which is almost an hour from my house.

I just have not One ounce of motivation to start school anytime soon. We have company coming in this week, took a vacation to see family last week. Just hoping I get more motivated very soon. We were supposes to start early because we finished so early. I have planning to do, books to order, filing to do, etc.

I need some motivation!

I wish I had some to give, but i'm unmotivated also and we didn't finish early. I say add a few more weeks to your vacation, do an hour or half hour of planning a day and start after the 4th. I will be praying for DD's baby.

Despite my lack of motivation, here is what is working for us:

Last week and this week we started doing math 4 days

spelling once a week, with a review day

Language once a week

reading aloud (them to me) 2-3 times

That's it. It is easy. I keep rechecking my daily list to see what I've forgotten. Next week I will add in history. In 2 or 3 weeks I'll add in science. At some point I will increase frequencies in some things, etc. I'm hoping to have completely eased us back into a full schedule by the middle of

August, *and* I will feel like I'm ahead because we are starting some of these things "early". Sometimes I can really fool myself. :)

Despite my lack of motivation, here is what is working for us:

Last week and this week we started doing math 4 days

spelling once a week, with a review day

Language once a week

reading aloud (them to me) 2-3 times

That's it. It is easy. I keep rechecking my daily list to see what I've forgotten. Next week I will add in history. In 2 or 3 weeks I'll add in science. At some point I will increase frequencies in some things, etc. I'm hoping to have completely eased us back into a full schedule by the middle of

August, *and* I will feel like I'm ahead because we are starting some of these things "early". Sometimes I can really fool myself. :)

This is a great suggestion. I think when we do start up again, we will start slowly. I get burnt out way too easily, but I guess it's time since I've been homeschooling for 10 years.

I keep going in cycles. for awhile we are relaxed barely getting the minimum in, then I read a new book or article and decide to go off on a tangent of one subject or another nice and serious. Then I gather all the topics in a nice neat spreadsheet and get it all done. Then I get burned out on all those topics, and ease off...till I fall back into the barely the minimum.

So far the kids still learn at amazing rates. I think in a way it is good for the kids to have the opportunity to learn in many different ways, from practically unschooling to full fledged classical. Though maybe a consistent balance would be better? It just isn't in my genetics :)

BTW Stories on tape sound like a great way to pass that hour in the car? Hope the baby feels better soon.