Menu

which saxon to use?

IanSebast

Ds's test results are back. He was off the charts in LA, but average in math. I decided I wanted to change the math we'be been using -everyday mathematics 4th grade- for saxon, so I checked the placement test, and based on the results, he should go into saxon 76 ! We're not even finished with this year's math!!! I don't understand how he can test average on the Iowa test, but go up 2 grade levels in saxon :confused:

Should we start at 7/6 like the results suggested? Dh believes he should start with 54. I'm thinking 65 would be a good compromise, what do you think? :bigear:

Contact Art Reed and ask his opinion. He does free phone consultations (he'll call you if you email him your phone number) on using Saxon in homeschooling. No requirements to buy anything and I found him quite helpful.

http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/

FWIW, when we went to switch from Singapore 4A to Saxon, my daughter tested at the cusp of 6/5 and 7/6. We tried starting with 7/6, but quickly found we had to drop back and plug some holes (which is expected with switching programs). Mr. Reed suggested we test through 6/5 first. It's been quite helpful. My daughter has a similar scoring profile to your child.

Ds's test results are back. He was off the charts in LA, but average in math. I decided I wanted to change the math we'be been using -everyday mathematics 4th grade- for saxon, so I checked the placement test, and based on the results, he should go into saxon 76 ! We're not even finished with this year's math!!! I don't understand how he can test average on the Iowa test, but go up 2 grade levels in saxon :confused:

Placement tests for specific products such as Saxon math or Alpha Omega/ACE/CLE materials don't have anything to do with standardized tests.

Also, John Saxon didn't want to put grade levels on his math books at all. The dual numbers were a compromise with the publisher, who was determined to put grade levels on each text. IOW, you should disregard anything having to do with grade levels and go with your dc's placement tests.

Should we start at 7/6 like the results suggested? Dh believes he should start with 54. I'm thinking 65 would be a good compromise, what do you think? :bigear:

Definitely not Math 54 (remember we're disregarding "grade levels").

Sometimes the placement tests do seem to put dc higher than their abilities, but I would tend to let him do Math 76 and just move slowly, being prepared to start back at the beginning if he struggles too much down the road (which is what Saxon recommends).