Menu

which saxon to use?

Ds's test results are back. He was off the charts in LA, but average in math. I decided I wanted to change the math we'be been using -everyday mathematics 4th grade- for saxon, so I checked the placement test, and based on the results, he should go into the 76 math! We're not even finished with this year's math!!! I don't understand how he can test average on the Iowa test, but go up 2 grade levels in saxon :confused:

Should we start at 7/6 like the results suggested? Dh believes he should start with 54. I'm thinking 65 would be a good compromise, what do you think?

The type of questions asked my be different. My one kid tests rather average for math on speed, but is amazing at capabilities. Averaging the two leaves her barely above average. If you were present at the test, maybe you can try to understand what type of trouble your kid has?

regardless, a compromise is generally best :)

76 is often used in *5th* grade classrooms. Your child is finishing 4th grade math. So starting with a 5th grade text seems about right to me.

I'm *not* a fan of Saxon math, but I don't think placing him in 76 will be a problem. Their placement tests are usually pretty accurate.