Menu

Question about LOF before AoPs

That may be a hard question to answer. LOF and AOPS are such different programs. They do kind of stand out in the different category, but they are not necessary equal. Compatible? IDK.

If you've done some searches on AOPS it seems that more mathy kids do well with that program. It's not a given that every student will do well with AOPS. I've not used AOPS, only read many threads on the subject.

LOF is also appealing, maybe to a different kind of math student, one that grasps concepts easily and doesn't need a large problem set to cement a concept. My ds is that way, we currently use LOF. He doesn't love math though and AOPS it seems appeals to those that actually like math. That's what I've perceived from my readings, again not my experience.

So if LOF will prepare your dc for AOPS, it may not. I know some people have completed LOF beginning algebra and then moved to repeat with AOPS algebra. Could your dc move to AOPS after completing LOF pre-algebra? Possibly.

see i was thinking she could the do the pre algebra program with AoPs to ensure she would be well prepared for their algebra program. DD does love math. she can't wait to get done with decimals and percents because in her mind algebra is like her goal. ( I am WAY not a math person and enthusiasm for algebra confuses me)

see i was thinking she could the do the pre algebra program with AoPs to ensure she would be well prepared for their algebra program. DD does love math. she can't wait to get done with decimals and percents because in her mind algebra is like her goal. ( I am WAY not a math person and enthusiasm for algebra confuses me)

So you'd be using LOF pre-algebra and AoPS pre-algebra? I think that would prepare you very well for AoPS algebra. I've used LOF and Singapore beofre going on to AoPS algebra, but I think AoPS pre-algebra would be even better.

Initially I was going to do the LOF prealgebra then AoPs algebra. But now that I am seeing AoPs has a pre algebra program I am considering using that instead. I don't want her work to be redundant ya know? But I don't want it to be too overwhelming. The AoPs program is over $200. LOF is $23 I think.