Menu

For those of you who have used Abeka or BJU

Wow. A comparison for all subjects from both publishers? Yikes. How about a general gestalt? :)

Overall, my preference is for BJUP over A Beka, if my choice were limited to those two, and only those two, publishers. However, that preference ranges from hands-down-unquestionably-no-hesitation BJUP is better than A Beka in secondary math (i.e., run, don't walk, away from A Beka secondary math, based on everything on the subject I've read on any homeschool board), to a much less black-and-white preference in science, which clearly depends on the specific subject and the needs of the specific family.

Somewhere in the middle: Definitely clear preference for BJUP literature over A Beka (almost a black-and-white choice); definitely clear preference also for BJUP Spanish over A Beka; less decided, but still preponderance of weight for a preference of BJUP history over A Beka. The preferences of literature and history are based on more critical thinking/analytic questions (vs. just straight reading comprehension questions) in BJUP vs. A Beka.

Grammar is a toss-up. I don't have enough experience with BJUP's composition to make a comparison, although I do know that I do NOT like A Beka's composition.

Don't forget, though, that there are many more choices for specific subjects than just BJUP or A Beka!

I'm only finishing out my first year using BJUP (9th grade), so I'm certainly not an expert, but I've been very pleased so far.

If it helps any, my mother taught ps high school English for many years before teaching with BJU in a Christian school. She says that 9th grade BJUP Literature is, by far, her favorite literature curriculum she has ever used and her very favorite course she has ever taught (granted, she's comparing it to ps curricula, so take that with a grain of salt).;)

My dad did the same with Biology, and he was very pleased with the thoroughness of BJU's current biology text.

I'm using their live LINC classes for my daughter's Biology, Spanish, and Algebra courses, and couldn't be any happier with them. However, I haven't used these texts without the LINC, so I can't accurately say from personal experience how they would stand on their own.

No experience with A Beka at all, so I'm no help with that one.

We have used a whole lot of A Beka. I do not care for Abeka math once you hit Algebra 1 at all. Pre-Algebra was fine, but the books completely change at Algebra 1 and there was not enough explanation in the student books. It was extremely challenging to try to use the solutions manual and try to figure out how they solved it by looking at the solution. I'd much rather they just explain it in the book how to do the problems. We will never attempt ABeka for Algebra on up again.

We used to use ABeka for every subject, but now we only use it for Science. My son has done every science book up through 10th grade Biology and thoroughly enjoys them. We will continue with a good thing there.

I don't have strong feelings about the other subjects ABeka offers; however, I have chosen to switch to other programs which work better for us. We went from homeschool burnout to a breath of fresh air when we switched. I am not saying ABeka is not a good curriculum.....it no doubt is since so many Christian schools use it. But it's not the best in every subject for my family. I didn't realize trying other things could make such a difference in our homeschool, but it really has and I'd highly recommend anyone feeling burned out to look for something else.

I hope that helps you somehow.

Monica