Menu

What are the differences between Lial's BCM and A Beka's 7th grade math?

We are currently back to using MUS and we love it, but we do math and some form of school year round and I keep hearing about Lial's. I am not a mathy person and I literally thank God for Mr. Demme. :D My dc will be in 7th next year, and we will be using MUS pre-algebra. I had thought of purchasing the A Beka's 7th grade math book to work through when we finish pre-algebra.

Info appreciated!

I haven't seen ABeka 7 math in a long time. However, I used it myself in school. If I remember correctly, ABeka is more of a review of basic math as well as consumer type math. (check book balancing, reading power meters, ect.) It does not prepare for algebra at all, unless it has been changed. BCM does cover pre algebra topics. This is all based what I experienced there, many years ago. (far too many!) If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

We are currently using Lial's BCM. I have never seen Abeka math, so this is not a comparison.

Ds used MUS up til this year. We are substituting Lial's for the Pre-Alg. Lial's is student-friendly, it does not require a teaching session. I answer ?s when he gets stuck, but generally, there are good written explanations and examples. He does only odd-numbered problems, because those are what are included in the back of the book if the Solutions manual is not purchased.

Ds is now more comfortable with word-problems and he has solidified basic math principles/formulas this year.

HTH,

I haven't seen ABeka 7 math in a long time. However, I used it myself in school. If I remember correctly, ABeka is more of a review of basic math as well as consumer type math. (check book balancing, reading power meters, ect.) It does not prepare for algebra at all, unless it has been changed. BCM does cover pre algebra topics. This is all based what I experienced there, many years ago. (far too many!) If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

This is A Beka's description:

This work-text gives a strong review of all arithmetic concepts and skills with a year-long emphasis upon mastering and applying percents. Other branches of mathematics include algebra, plane and solid geometry, statistics, and trigonometry. Two units on basic algebra give the junior-high student the foundation he needs to enjoy and succeed in high school algebra. Practical topics such as adjusting recipes, banking, and reading the electric meter appeal to students and teachers alike. Helpful features include Problem Solving Strategies, charts, glossary, and index.

That's why I am wondering what the differences/similarities are.

I'm guessing that ABeka would be weaker in Algebra than Lials. Most of the topics in pre algebra are covered in BCM. However, ABeka pre algebra is designed to follow Abeka 7 math so it's probably not covering the same topics. Most elementary math books say they cover algebra and geometry. They do, but not in the depth that one would associate with an algebra or geometry course. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Since you are using another program and want to just have one as backup, I'd go with BCM since it's a lot cheaper. I have other reasons for not wanting to use ABeka, but I won't share those here! :)