Menu

WWYD-Switching extra-curricular instructors? for

My kids are all involved in martial arts. When we started, we had the most wonderful instructor who was so great with all the kids. We moved and looked around at a few schools and picked the one we thought we liked best about 6 weeks ago. My older kids are happy. The instructor is very nice, he is very good, the instruction is excellent, and we are really happy with how they are adjusting. My youngest, however, is not happy. The instructor is nice to her, he's patient, and he tries, but he is clearly not used to having kids her age in the class and he is not connecting with her. She's 3, almost 4, but has been doing it for almost a year at the old school. She used to love it at the old school, and now I'm afraid she's going to start hating it. The class is all serious and no fun for her. Every time she starts to have fun, she gets in trouble. We did do some sample classes, but I think DD and the instructor were both on their best behaviors and while we thought it would only get better, it hasn't.

I can't decide if I want to just have her quit, since she's so little, or move everyone to a different school. I would prefer for her to keep at it because she's actually quite good for her age and she enjoyed it and I'm afraid if she quits she'll never want to go back anywhere. She'll also forget everything she's learned since she's so little. But, if we move schools, the other instructors may be more fun, but they are not as technically good. I don't think the older kids will get the same level of instruction, I'll personally feel bad for walking out on this man's school when we had expected to stay a year because we like him a lot, and the other schools are farther away. WWYD? Move to a more fun school for the little one or let her quit and keep the older kids at the more rigorous school? The middle girls are 7 and do not enjoy the new school like they did the old school but they aren't complaining too much. They like the instructor but just miss their old teachers. My oldest appreciates the rigor but also misses the fun and even he can see that the little one is not doing well because they don't know how to work with her. He's a black belt, and at his old school, the black belts were taught how to train and interact with very little kids to help them do their best. At this school, they talk to my 3yr old like she's 10 and expect her to be happy about it. It's not like they are mean to her at all or that they expect too much, it is just there's some kind of rapport that is not there and I don't think will ever be there until she is much older. Her old instructor was much stricter with her, but he connected with her and they had fun.

The instructor is very nice, he is very good, the instruction is excellent, and we are really happy with how they are adjusting

We don't do martial arts, but have done about everything else.

Because of the statement I copied, I would leave your olders. 3-4 is very young (my kids did do activities as that age) and the focus is COMPLETELY different than for an older child. The class is working for 3 children and you stated you didn't think the olders would get the same quality of instruction at a different place. I would not move the 3 oldest children to an inferior school because the new one isn't as much fun for the 3 year old.

I would either find her a fun class somewhere else, until she is old enough to go to the same school (and this would let you scope out a possible move for everyone), or I would wait until she's older. You could let her try something different or just completely wait.

I would sign her up for something different but related. Gymnastics or dance have elements that are used in martial arts.

Then as she matures she can pick it up again.

There's no guarantee that other schools will have exactly what you're looking for. I wouldn't move the older sibs.

We can't sign her up for something else. We don't have time for another activity because my DS is at a level such that he needs to go 4-5 times a week and I'm the only adult who can take them. Also, my older girls would want to quit if little DD got to do something else and then they would be whining and complaining. My middle DD has to do it because it counts as physical therapy and the other things like gymnastics don't give her the therapy type movements that she needs. I know there's a big difference between 3-4yrs and 7-10yrs, but the old school was able to meet everyone on their level in the same class. I wish I could find that here. She wasn't in a toddler or preschool class before- DD was in the regular mixed class with all ages and she excelled, wasn't disruptive in any way, and loved it. Even this instructor said she's really amazing for her age, but she's just not having fun anymore. Maybe I'll secretly scope out some other classes and see what I think without pulling anyone out or having DD stop going yet.

I know there's a big difference between 3-4yrs and 7-10yrs, but the old school was able to meet everyone on their level in the same class

It's always worth looking. But, I do think finding one class to fit from 3 years old up to black belt is a rarity. That your last instructor was able to accomodate them in one class, means you were blessed. I thought, from statements about other schools being inferior, that there really wasn't another good option. I hope you find something that will work out.