Menu

L.A. Unified: A report card

Well, I've read Arguing with (word the forum won't let me use) so a lot of this came as no surprise, but I didn't know about getting paid to take collage courses. My husband is a RDA (registered dental assistant) and he's required to take "continuing education" courses to keep his license, and I think the doctors (dentists) have to do the same, and every course he's taken had to do with dentistry, and he doesn't get a raise for it. He gets to keep his job. Seems to me that should apply for the teachers as well. :glare:

Well, I've read Arguing with (word the forum won't let me use) so a lot of this came as no surprise, but I didn't know about getting paid to take collage courses. My husband is a RDA (registered dental assistant) and he's required to take "continuing education" courses to keep his license, and I think the doctors (dentists) have to do the same, and every course he's taken had to do with dentistry, and he doesn't get a raise for it. He gets to keep his job. Seems to me that should apply for the teachers as well. :glare:

The logic of the opinion piece, however, is that on-going education of teachers is not beneficial (additional pay, or not). This to me seems like a very dubious proposition.

There are plenty of irrational aspects to the way the LAUSD does business. Encouraging teacher education is not one of them, although once we discuss what they are "learning" as opposed to what they ought to be learning I bet we'd find a good deal of common ground.

Bill

although once we discuss what they are "learning" as opposed to what they ought to be learning I bet we'd find a good deal of common ground.

Bill

Yes Bill, on that particular aspect of the discussion I am certain we would agree.

This has been talked of quite frequently in our area as drastic budget cuts/austerity measures will be hitting the county's schools. It appears that continuing ed is going to suffer the axe and given that the teachers themselves report that much of what they are sent to "learn" is not up to par, well, that makes it an easy target. But, the reality is that they will still have to do it...on their own time (no more teacher professional development days on next year's calendar) and dime.

Faith

Actually I think the fact he gets nothing from his employer (unless he is self employed) kinda stinks. It is not unheard of for companies to not only pay for continuing education, but to give raises when it is completed. My husband's master's degree was completely paid for and he was given a raise upon graduating. His current employer gave him a raise after he published a book. I think it is the right thing to do. If you want to keep talented people and encourage them to keep learning (especially in a field that absolutely requires it) then it is worth the investment.

I think teachers should be encouraged to keep learning (and it should be rewarded). But as Bill said, maybe they just aren't learning the right things.

His company actually hosts some of the CE classes for free. He gets most of his credits that way. They also hosted an $800 dollar class for an extra license for free, but he didn't get a raise because they don't use that skill/ability very often.