Menu

Curriculum Ideas for Sixth Grade Boy and First-Time Homeschooling Mom

Guest dlnitardy

Guest dlnitardy

I'll be homeschooling my 6th grade son this fall and intend to do so through 8th grade. He is bright, hooked on athletics, is fairly adept at Math and an excellent speller. He used to love to learn and read and write but school and peer pressure drove the desire out of him, hence, one of the reasons we're going to try something different. He has not been told yet (it will happen soon) about the change and is not going to receive it well since he has become overly dependent on his peer system. But, we know it's the right thing to do.

I related very well with "The Well-Trained Mind" and have in mind to blindly follow the 'Wise Women's' many suggestions for curriculum, but reading this website makes me second guess my confidence in that decision. There are SO MANY, MANY things to choose from.

It would be helpful to hear from people who might also be homeschooling a sixth grade boy (alone--his three brothers are away at dorming schools) and to hear what worked and didn't work for them.

Thank you,

Liz

Ok, you state that you like what you've read in WTM. I have a rising 6th grade boy as well. Here is what I would do. Download this file: http://wtm-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/wwe/wweevaluations.pdf

It is the evaluation for SWB's Writing WIth Ease curriculum. Give him year 1, then year 2, then year 3 assessment until he doesn't pass. Then put him in that level. Now, he's older and you can condense this very quickly by doubling up and doing it 5days per week. You can choose either the workbooks where it's all laid out for you or you can choose the one book w/ all 4yrs combined where it guides you in choosing passages for narration and dictation from books he's reading.

He's good in math. Do you need hand-holding or is he an independent learner? I'd go to singareporemath.com, mathmammoth.com, saxonmath.com (not sure if that's the website but you can google it) and give him some placement tests and see where he places. Many PS'd kids place a grade level behind when given Singapore math assessments as it tends to be a bit ahead of many PS. Look at samples online, post here w/ how your son likes to learn and your ability to teach the subject and we can help you find something. Is he visual? Is he highly verbal? Would he like a video-instructor? Does he like to read it on his own and ask for help when needed?

For science, I'd ask him what he'd like to learn about and supply him w/ resources...books, documentaries, museum visits, experiments etc.

For history....6th grade would be a good time to get in on the WTM history cycle depending on strong his school was on history. Has he had ancient history? Middle ages?

Did he play an instrument at school? If so, can he continue that privately or is he able to continue music at school?

Will he be able to continue w/ his sports or are they school teams?

That will get your started....I'm pooped and my brain cells are dwindling.... If he's reluctant about HSing, I would definitely start w/ interest-led things. If his love is science, start there. Field trips, documentaries, discussions about what he's learning.

Capt Uhura

Welcome Liz!

Sounds like you are already off to a great start with reading the WTM! :) Yes, it is overwhelming to read about all the many curriculum suggestions! But it is also reassuring to realize that many can be used in a manner that fits in with the classical model of the WTM.

It is good to keep in mind that your first semester of home schooling will mostly be about re-igniting that love of learning, and transitioning from schooling in a formal traditional setting to figuring out how schooling at home works for BOTH of you. Because of those considerations, you may wish to keep to the "basics" for the first few months of school -- reading, writing, spelling, math, science, history -- and add in other subjects a little as a time as you both become adjusted.

The "core" subjects at a minimum to include in your first semester: reading; writing; math. As you can, you can then start adding in: spelling; grammar; history; science. If your son has an interest in sports, art, music, drama or other activity, make sure you are also keeping that in your schedule. Does your state require you to turn in your lesson plans or a portfolio of work regularly? Definitely talk to some local home schoolers for wisdom on how to approach that administrative aspect of home schooling.

I would also *highly* recommend finding a local home school group the two of you can join -- mentoring and support for you, and social interaction for your son. Some of these groups may be just a handful of families meeting once a week or twice a month to do science together, or history projects. Others are large groups with weekly PE option, field trips, social activities, even possibly a co-op.

If there are no home school groups in your area, or you are not interested in what they offer, then do make sure your family gets out for a monthly field trip to a museum, historical site, natural wonder, student matinee showing of a local play, etc. It really helps the transition into home school to realize how MUCH flexibility you have -- and to learn how to enjoy learning TOGETHER! :)

re: Reading and History

Sounds like your son is a reader! You may want to look into some of the "real book" or literature-based programs that will cover both your history and literature -- and many are set up on a chronological study of history in the way that the WTM lays out. If following the WTM chronology, you would be starting your studies with the Ancients (Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, China, India...) Since you are just starting home schooling, you may find it easier to use a "packaged" program, to feel you are "covering all your bases". A program that leaps to mind: Sonlight, core G = http://www.sonlight.com/core-g.html (Christian, but can fairly easily be adapted to secular use). It includes dozens of books, covers Bible, History, Geography, and Reading, has a language arts teacher guide to cover some basic grammar and writing needs. (Eventually, you will most likely want specific programs to cover each of those English or Language Arts needs: grammar writing, spelling, vocabulary.)

Sonlight core G covers ancients through medieval history with many historical fiction books and several informal history texts. It would be quite easy to spread out this program and do only the ancient portion in your first year, and the medieval portion in your second year, which would not only stay within the chronology of a classical model of education, but would also allow you the flexibility to add in some suggested books from the WTM.

re: Math

If it is a solid math program and your son is doing well with it, and you don't want to disrupt the flow of topics, consider continuing with whatever math program he has been using in the school system. Otherwise, there are many good options out there, and it probably depends on a combination of his learning style -- AND how much/little teacher support YOU will want/need! -- as to which program to choose.

Cathy Duffy has put out a book to help home schoolers select curriculum based on their students' learning styles which you may find helpful: "100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style." = http://www.amazon.com/100-Top-Picks-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0805431381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308093607&sr=8-1 Cathy Duffy also has helpful reviews online: http://www.grovepublishing.com/

re: Science

Agreeing with Capt. Uhura's idea -- go with a student led interest for this first year. Or use a program that is high in interest with lots of hands-on and covers a wide range of topics; I've heard good things about Singapore Science (secular). Perhaps post and see what others suggest specifically for science for a 6th grader. In the middle school years, we enjoyed watching Mythbusters, going through the Rader's science websites (astronomy, biology, earth science, chemistry, physics, lots of books and videos from the library, and using "The Reader's Digest: How ... Works" books, along with lots of kits and TOPS units. My suggestion for you at this age -- and especially just starting to home school -- focus on keeping alive that love of learning; it's not until 8th or 9th grade that most home schoolers begin to follow the typical science progression of:

- Physical Science (overview of Chemistry/Physics)

- Biology

- Chemistry

- Physics

re: Logic

While I did say earlier it might make your transition smoother to stick with the basics for the first few months, you can "sneak in" a little light Logic under the guise of "brain teasers" or 1-page morning warm-up: around 6th grade our boys really enjoyed going through the Blastoff With Logic puzzle series: Logic Countdown; Blast Off with Logic; Orbiting with Logic. The Mindbenders series is also good for this (although, they are all the same type of puzzle, whereas the Blastoff With Logic series has a wide assortment of puzzle types).

There are whole books out there on "getting started", and I don't want to overwhelm you in an answer to your very first post on home schooling, so just remember, post as often as you need on as many topics as you want! Sometimes it helps to post asking for recommendations just on one topic at a time. Also, you may want to print off this page from this website -- it's a brief overview of the WTM goals for grades 5-8; I find it to be handy to refer to from time to time to help me compare the WTM's goals with my goals, with how we are doing. :)

Liz, welcome to this board, and welcome to home schooling! May your family have a smooth transition, and a WONDERFUL adventure together! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info