Menu

Help! ADHD-ish teen...

My ds is 12 and is definately in puberty, growth spurt, voice changing and attitude! He was screened in preschool and had an iep for adhd, but at the end of the year they released him from it and said he was fine. He's always had issues with diet, sugar, dyes, etc. Needs to get enough sleep, very strong willed, and SMART.

He also has food allergies and I recently took him to a naturopath. He has homeopathic drops for fungus, environmental(chemicals, electrical currents, radiation), and pancreas. The dr said he has an overgrowth of fungus, sugar issues, chemical sensitivity, and possibly autoimmune issues(inflamation in his body). I know he's going through detox, but he's driving me crazy. Everything I say he argues with! The more I try to discipline him, the worse he is! I just don't know how to deal with him. I get so frustrated. I feel like I have a toddler still. I have to remind him of everything! He's wanting more freedom, like his friends, but I don't think he's mature enough for it.

Everything I read about ADHD sounds like my boy, but not extreme. Please give me some pointers on how to handle him. We've tried chore charts, rewards, schedules,

consequences, but none of those things seem to change the way his brain works:( I love

him dearly and want to help him.

I really don't know anything about naturopathic treatments, but have you contacted your naturopath to ask if this is a normal reaction to the treatment? Perhaps it is being aggravated by the homeopathy?

Are you open to getting a second opinion?

If he is on yeast protocol then die-off will cause increased behaviors. What foods have you removed and what foods is he allergic to?

What products does the naturopath have your son on? Some things (such as Enhansa) can be counterproductive in some kids with yeast issues.

Did the naturopath test for yeast before prescribing these things? And what does he mean by "sugar issues".. Does he mean borderline diabetic? Or addicted to sugar? Low blood sugar? What did he mean? What type of fungus issue does he have? Did he do an Organic Acids Test? How does he know?

Any ideas on which autoimmune disease he has? Have you done a trial without gluten?

Edited by Misty

Misty, a lot of good questions. He did meridian testing. As far as yeast, I'm not sure. He explained everything to me, but I don't remember. My ds is on FNG homeopathic drops. The autoimmune thing may be because he was treated for Lyme disease a year ago. Maybe autoimmune Lyme. This boy has always had issues with being on a lot of antibiotics, hyper as a young child, now more "out of it", hives, lyme, sensitivities to chemicals, mold, milk, corn, sugar, etc. Gluten could be an issue. We have tried gf at different times. I think he and I do better with no gluten. But not 100% sure. I guess I could try again and see if that helps.

It sounds like he has a lot of issues.. I would stick with the naturopath as that is your best bet for getting these issues under control.. But I would also do a gluten-free trial FOR SURE... When a child is so sensitive and allergic to so many things, gluten is rarely NOT an issue. Even if it's not full blown celiac disease.. could be just a sensitivity and a gluten free diet could be all he needs to "settle down". I would give it 100% for two months and see how he is then.