Menu

Middle Ages Spine 4th Grade

kwg

I was going to use the Classical House of Learning lesson plans -and I still might- but that is using a lot of Magic Tree House books and for some reason ds has never liked those books.

I was reading the WTM and I think I would like to try history that way...so the first day we read the selection, do mapwork, write narration, and then the next day complete additional reading, maybe do an activity or craft, and review memory work. I think I have that right:tongue_smilie: It feels like STOW would be good for all that with the AG but I want to make sure there is enough there for him to write the narrations expected of a fourth grader. She said a few paragraphs. I doubt he would in the beginning but it is a good goal anyway :lol:

In addition to STOW I have Middle Ages by Dorothy Mills. The story of the Middle Ages is on Librovox too so we could use that. He enjoys history a lot. We listen to STOW for ancients on audio quite a few times. Up until now we have used The Famous Men series- just me reading them and us talking about it. I could use the one for middle ages -and i might- but they are getting a bit dull :tongue_smilie: and I was hoping to change things up a bit. He needs more practice in writing and doesn't seem to mind too too much.

I appreciate any insight! Thanks!

I think the SOTW + AG sounds like a great choice. SOTW itself is great, and then there are lots of additional books to choose from if you want to supplement. That's what we're working on heading into 4th and there really is plenty there to work with.

I'm not familiar with the Classical House of Learning, but I would say the Magic Treehouse books seem a little too easy for reading level and content for 4th grade. I would find it much harder to get detailed narrations from those books than from SOTW.

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/

It really looks like a wonderful program with sotw as a spine, but the extra reading is a lot of MTH and my ds would balk. Not all though so it might still work.

That was my original idea but then I reread WTM and thought maybe just do it that way....:lol:

Mystery of History looks wonderful but I should have mentioned that we prefer secular materials.

I plan on using some of Classical House as we finish up the middle ages, but we won't be doing MTH. My ds hates them. I'll share our reading list in case it helps you out.

(1)*Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman

(2)*Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray

(3)*A Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli

(4)*Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

(5)*The Castle Diary of Tobias Burgess, by Platt

(6)*Whipping Boy by Sid Fleishman

(7)*Call it Courage by Armstrong Sperry

(8)*The Great and Terrible Quest by Lovett

(9)*A Single Shard by Park

(10)Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly and Janina

(10b)White Stag by Kate Seredy

(12) Proud taste for Scarlet and Miniver

Read aloud:

(ra)*Canterbury Tales retold by Geraldine McCaughrean*

(ra)*Castle by David Macaulay

(ra)*Chanticleer and the Fox by Barbara Cooney

(ra)*Book of Norse Myths by the D’ Aulaire’s

(ra)*Marguerite Makes A Book by Bruce Robertson and Kathryn Hewitt

(ra)*Good Masters, Sweet Ladies

Tales from Shakespeare* by Charles and Mary Lamb

Thank you both! I did an impulse buy last night and got the LBC from Curriclick: 001_rolleyes: I do not regret it though!:D Between that study guide, CHoL and mamachanse's reading list I think we are going to have a great year. I am excited! Usually we just kind of read Famous Men and (when we have time) write a narration. I do get books from the library but it is not very systematic.....I am going to sit down and try to bring it all together for us and see what our library has.

I've been toying with buying the LBC guide, so I'm really curious what it's like.

I'm curious what else is in it... for instance, in the sample, it says things like "Draw the paths of the viking ships on a map" - a fine activity. But do they supply a map to or do kids draw it or do we have to find one ourselves?

Thanks!

The kids are supposed to draw it. There are 16 lessons in the guide, each one lasting 2 weeks. There isn't any outline maps or anything extra really. They have an intro, year at a glance chart, book list at the end, and then the lessons. They do recommend Hands on History You gotta check the price on that- hilarious!:lol:

Let me know if you have more questions. I did type out more but I thought I was giving TMI :lol: and just repeating what was in the sample anyway.