Menu

American Heritage Girls

Is this group non-partisan? (translation: Will my left-leaning tendencies cause issues?) Does it teach a providential view of US History?

I looked at the web site and the badge projects look more fun than girl scouts (and no cookie sales!).

I'd love to learn more about the group. I'm interested in any information and experiences (good/bad) anyone has to share.

Dd just started AHG. I asked a lot of questions because I knew it was Christian, but there are many "flavors" of Christianity and I didn't want someone teaching dd something I did not believe. I was told that they believe that Jesus is God's son and the only way to Heaven. They basically stick to the main things that all Christians agree on. They don't get into doctrinal issues. There are even Catholics who are a part of AHG. Pretty much anyone who has a Christian faith would feel comfortable there.

Not sure about the US history part. I didn't notice many badges that had anything to do with history.

We have been involved in AHG for many years. The first book had more questionable stuff than than the 2 newer books. For example, the first book's Native American badge had kids learning the "five civilized tribes." Now, it has kids focus on tribes that would have been local to them.

It is definitely a Christian group, but we have several flavors of Christians in our group-non denominational, Church of Christ, Catholic, etc.

There is a patriotic element, but not really anything providential. Again, I am sure each group is different, you may need to test the waters in groups near to you.