Menu

If you live in Thailand or have visited, please advise

Hi,

My daughter and I are part of a mission team going to Thailand this summer. Most of our time is spent working, but we do have two days in Bangkok for sightseeing. We are looking through travel guides and dreaming, but aren't sure what to suggest to the team as the "must see" few things during our stop there. To maximize time, we're trying to see what's in a particular district (like Chinatown or the Grand Palace). If you live in Thailand or have visited, would you please give us some guidance? Please, pretty please, and please with sugar on top? :lol:

Blessings,

Julie in MO

Yes, night market & museums etc... But my favorite experience in Bangkok was doing a dinner cruise on the river. My friends and I ended up being the only ones on the cruise that night, and our hosts treated us like royalty. It was a several course dinner and an interesting and informative cruise up and down the river. I think we paid $32 each, which was more than we paid for our night at a super swanky hotel. God bless the Internet!

It didn't hurt that the night of our cruise was the Princess's birthday, so our captain pulled over to let us watch the fireworks mid-cruise...

You should be able to book the cruise out of your hotel.

I've been to Thailand.

If you plan on visiting any of the temples (or the palace), you need to go in a skirt or a dress, or you will not be allowed in. It is so hot there that you will probably want to wear a skirt or a light dress the entire time. It is VERY humid. Plan accordingly for your hair.

Buy pineapple and other fruit from the street vendors. Never in my life have I tasted such delicious pineapple. It is very ripe and very delicious.

Plan on going shopping. The mall is just so-so, and pricey, and really fairly lackluster. The street shops are WONDERFUL. I bought several wrap-around skirts there that were wonderful. They were 100% cotton, and very pretty. I also bought some bracelets. Try everything on that you can; I was a size 4 when I went and I was in their large size! Try the bracelets on, too; many were too small for me, but I got a few that I loved. I also bought a great wooden frogs that you make music with; you rub his back with a stick that stays in his mouth, and it sounds like a real frog!

I got a pair of pajamas there (satin) that I love.

There are lots of knockoffs; this is okay for clothing, but don't try buying knockoff perfume, no matter how much it looks like the real thing (I ade that mistake!)

Use bottled water at all times (including for brushing your teeth).

The toliets are different---very different. You should have some type of soap or hand sanitizer with you, and I advise having some type of toliet paper or kleenex with you, as that usually doesn't exist there. Most are holes in the ground; your hotel may be different.