Menu

Hostory Pockets... do you enjoy them

We do use them and like them. We have used them separately for individual history studies as an addition (Ancient History) and done a unit and made a complete book and used it as our spine (Civil War). They helped the kids with recall, taught them some basic facts and the projects were fun to do and informative. It also gave them something to cut and color while I was reading to them.

I prefer to download the e-book either from Evan-Moor or from the Dedicated Teacher website (where it is sometimes a dollar or two cheaper). Then I can print it out on card stock or print multiple copies without a lot of hassle (no tearing the book apart or pulling out pages).

We do use them and like them. We have used them separately for individual history studies as an addition (Ancient History) and done a unit and made a complete book and used it as our spine (Civil War). They helped the kids with recall, taught them some basic facts and the projects were fun to do and informative. It also gave them something to cut and color while I was reading to them.

I prefer to download the e-book either from Evan-Moor or from the Dedicated Teacher website (where it is sometimes a dollar or two cheaper). Then I can print it out on card stock or print multiple copies without a lot of hassle (no tearing the book apart or pulling out pages).

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could download them too.

Well, it's an e-book, not sure if they're PDF files.

Here's the page where you'd order History Pockets. Under "Select a Format", I always choose Standard E-Book.

While we're not total History Pocket fans for some reason, I do order a lot of EM stuff.

Thank you for the link. I am up to my eyeballs in websites right about now! But I am excited to be getting the ball rolling for next year:001_smile:. We planned on homeschooling all year round, but my planning is causing us to take a little break.

We love the history pockets here. HSBC offered a subscription to the TeachersFileBox a few months ago (it may still be there). All the history, science and lit pockets are on the site. I printed all of them as pdf files so they are ready to use when we study the various time periods. I think the subscription was $70 for the year so if you are planning to buy more then 4 or 5 it may be worth it to subscribe.

We used them for Ancient History and LOVED them. I am thinking of getting the pioneer and early American ones this year. I mostly used them as extra activities with SOTW when the activity in the book was not interesting to me or took too much prep.

We have been using the theme pockets, although we don't make the pocket books. I just glue the printed parts onto construction paper and slip into plastic pockets, then into a binder. We used to lapbook but these are a much better fit for us. My boys are really enjoying them and with all the cutting, they get some fine motor practice, too.:D

You can download from currclick, too.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. Most of my crew are really not crazy about them, but I have a 6yo girl that thinks they are the best ever. Since history is a group subject here I have used them in conjunction with our other work to provide a "crafty" outlet for her. (I don't have them do everything, but it certainly doesn't hurt the boys to do a few fine motor skill activities just because Mom said!)