Menu

Life of Fred Sequence

I see on the Life of Fred website that the author reccomends doing Advanced Algebra before Geometry. Would there be a problem with switching those books and doing Geometry first?

My dd completed the Beginning Algebra book this year, and would love an algebra break. But, are there going to be topics in Geometry she doesn't understand because she needs the background of Advanced Algebra first? Or, is Geometry more of a stand alone course?

Thank you :)

In his opinion, Geometry requires a more advanced mathematical mind than Algebra 2. This agrees with my own personal experience where I flew through Algebra 1 and 2 and still struggled with Geometry. But this is strictly an opinion and there are good arguments either way.

We are using LOF on its own and went from Beginning Algebra to Geometry with no problems. We are now doing Trig and having no problems there either. LOF Statistics can also be done without Advanced Algebra.

We chose this route to give DS a break from Algebra. He did fine on Algebra but he is a visual learner and so geometry was much easier for him than algebra. I am expecting that we will have to do a bit of review when we do start Advanced Algebra, but we are finding quite a bit of Algebra review in the Trig book.

HTH

This is so helpful! So, it sounds like we can do geometry and then advanced algebra without too much trouble. I understand (and mostly agree!) with the suggested sequence of LOF, but my dd really wants/needs an algebra break!

Thank you!