Menu

Would "Couch to 5K" program benefit me if I don't get past walking?

I'm motivated to try something like this. But I don't know if my knees are going to let me get to the true running phase. I haven't looked into it but was wondering if I could still use the exercise plan to get going and if it would be something I could follow if all I do is make it to fast walking?

I don't see why not. Looking at the plan, it looks like the "goal" is a 10-minute mile. That would be tough to manage walking (you'd be walking so briskly you'd be pretty much jogging), but you can do a 12-minute mile with a very brisk walk. You could just tweak the times a bit.

Yes. Go for it!

I can't run due to bad knees and now a bad ankle. But I love to walk. I have done triathlons and walked the run part (yes, I'm in the back of the pack). I have walked a half-marathon, and I'd like to walk a whole in the next year or two.

You don't have to run, especially if it damages your body. Build up the miles using the couch to 5 K plan. Your joints and muscles will still need to get used to distance walking, so a gradual plan is good. Walking is a wonderful way to get and stay in shape. Don't feel like you have to run.

Oh my...of course!!!!!!!! Go for it!!!

I may not be popular in my opinion...but, I'm not sure humans are supposed to strap shoes on their feet and run long distances on a regular bases. The injuries I see so many people that run seem to experience are something I'm not interested in.

I walk...a lot!!! I'm injury free and in great shape and enjoy my walks!!!

I may not be popular in my opinion...but, I'm not sure humans are supposed to strap shoes on their feet and run long distances on a regular bases. The injuries I see so many people that run seem to experience are something I'm not interested in.

I walk...a lot!!! I'm injury free and in great shape and enjoy my walks!!!

LOL I tell my husband the same thing all the time. I'm a walker, and I just do not get running.