Menu

Math Mammoth manipulatives

mhaddon

Ds uses abacus all the time. We also have lots of left over manipulatives that we collected for MEP, buttons, shells, stones, etc. And sometimes I pull out the old box of cuisinaire rods that we were given years ago.

Wasn't this question asked a couple of days ago? I'm sure if you do a search, you will find more replies.

Honestly, MM doesnt really need any manipulative, because all problems (except word problems) are pictorially shown. Maria Miller suggests a regular 100-bead abacus. What you do decide to use depends on what your child prefers. We are not doing MM at the moment, but when we did, my dd preferred the C-rods over the abacus. Now (at 6.5) she doesnt even need manipulatives much.

What are C-rods? :bigear:

We made the 100 bead abacus that Maria gives instructions for. We actually got an old sushi roller (a dollar at Wal-Mart), took it apart and used the rods in that. The rods were great, easy to hot glue gun together, and the pony beads moved easily up and down on the smooth surface.

Cuisenaire Rods are an amazing way to introduce whole-parts math to young children in a fashion where the whole-pets model is obvious, tangible, and comprehensible. It is also a manipulative that a child can (and should) use themselves so they can learn through their natural inclination to play.

The abacus is not so good when it becomes a "plaything." This means early math lessons with an abacus tend to get parent led, which doesn't necessarily foster the same sense of autonomy and competence a child can derive from problem solving themselves using Cuisenaire Rods.

Bill