Menu

Setting up AAS level 1 and I have a question

No, just the two Ys, one red (vowel), one blue (consonant). If you are using a magnetic board (we've got a large lined magnetic whiteboard), I'd suggest just putting both a-z tiles in two long lines on the board. (I put mine at the bottom, where my 6 year old can easily reach them, rather than as AAS suggests--might be in level 2--at the top). I found we often needed more than one of a letter when spelling words from the book, or words my kids made up that worked for the current lesson. HTH.

I now love our large magnetic lined whiteboard, but it was spendy ($70 or so). For the first while I put the tiles on large baking sheets (I am working with 2 kids, so one set of letter tiles for each), and that worked well for a personal-sized work space. It really helped my younger child, age 6, who tired easily when writing a lot with pencil. Some kids hate the tiles though--depends on your kid. Mine really enjoy them, and we use them all the time when doing other work and the need to spell a word comes up.

I definitely recommend putting magnets on the back of your tiles. If you don't you'll have to set them up each day before the lesson and the higher up in levels you go that would get to be a pain. I bought a 2x3' whiteboard for $15 from target and it's a perfect size. That way all the tiles stay on the board, so we're less likely to lose any.

I bought a 2x3' whiteboard for $15 from target and it's a perfect size.

Do you happen to know the brand white board you bought? I would love to see if something like that is still available. I've looked at Target's website and can't find anything near that cheap. The closest I've found is this at Amazon, and it's $35.00. Ouch!

Do you happen to know the brand white board you bought? I would love to see if something like that is still available. I've looked at Target's website and can't find anything near that cheap. The closest I've found is this at Amazon, and it's $35.00. Ouch!

Mine is This one and doesn't have the black painted frame it's a simple aluminum frame.

I got a 2'x3' whiteboard from Target, I believe it was The Board Dudes. It's magnetic with an aluminum frame. I got it last year when it was on sale for $16, but they were $20 not on sale. I don't see it on Target's website, you'd probably have to go to the store.

Ooh, nice.

But wait, the reviews say that that one isn't magnetic.

Thanks anyway! At least you gave me another brand to check out, right?

Sorry that should have said Mine LOOKS LIKE this one, I guess my fingers had a mind of their own on the keyboard last night. LOL