Menu

Just keep asking questions.... What does this test measure? Ask for written results. Find out time frame. Hopefully they do a visiograph (I think is the name) where they do a computerized reading test and your son wears goggles and it measures his eye movements. This looks at reading skills vs eye movements. And as the other lady said - trust your gut. You are there for your child's best interest and if they know that it'll be fine.

Ok, well. I'm glad I didn't stress about it too much.

The doctor says ds does not need VT. In fact, in her opinion, he's not even dyslexic. :001_huh: He blew out their reading test for his grade/age plus another test where they tested how quickly he could read numbers off a chart. The only thing he lags behind in is Spelling (which is simply awful -- no news there). They are putting him in reading glasses to see if that helps with the fatigue issues.

I am taking this doctor's opinion with a grain of salt since she's a COVD and not an educational psychologist, but the day has left me feeling :confused: :001_huh::banghead::willy_nilly:

On the positive side, our screening was only $25, the glasses are free after insurance, and I will no longer feel the slightest twinge when others talk about VT. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on not needing VT! That is good news and a relief to you I have no doubt.

As far as the VT saying your son is not dyslexic, don't just write that off yet. They have some good screening devices. OIr at least our VT does. I had a diagnosis of dyslexia for my son (from a reading expert) but from the beginning the VT kept telling me that according to her results ds was definately NOT dyslexic. I would just nod my head and go on. Sure enough (although after 18 months of VT for us) we were told by 2 reading experts later that he was not dyslexic.

Well hopefully the reading glasses do the trick! For my dd, the reading glasses did help. But what happened was they helped the *focusing*. When the eyes stopped straining to focus, they also stopped the straining that was pulling in the eyes for convergence. At that point she actually got WORSE headaches than she had ever had before. (If the images don't converge, you get double images, oy.) We went from problems doing schoolwork to UNABLE to do schoolwork.

But you know, I have a cousin (still in school, younger than me, hehe) who got glasses just for reading and it did the trick, no extra headaches. So there you go. If they do the trick, they do the trick. If they make it worse after a few weeks, you'll know why.

VT is not a cure-all for spelling, hate to tell you. It only gets visual problems out of the way so they can see and process. No miracles, lol.

Well keep us posted on how it goes! If the reading glasses take the strain off and make his work less fatiguing, that would be nice!