Menu

Dr Hive: My teen ds was roughhousing in the pool yesterday

with some friends and shortly afterward he complained of ear pain. He didn't feel or hear any water in his ears. This morning it still hurts and he says he can't hear from that ear. I looked up "swimmer's ear" which is an infection which this doesn't sound like since it happened so quickly. Must we head to the doctor today?

I think I will take him in - it really does seem to be very painful unless he's totally faking it.

Now the only problem is that since he's usually healthy as a horse and hasn't been to our family doctor in more than 3 years, he's not a "current" patient, so they won't see him today. We'll have to take him in to the urgent care hours at 5PM. :(

I have been struggling with swimmer's ear for more than a month. One night it was so bad I curled up in a ball and cried for a few hours. It is terribly painful if that's what it is.

My pain comes and goes and is milder sometimes.

My problem is I just can't seem to stay out of the water!! It is so hot we need to swim in order to get some exercise- but my ears just hate me! I'll stay out 5 days and it improves and then we swim and I'm back to square one. I'm doing all the stuff I've been told to do...

ugh!

I'm so sorry for him- ear pain is horrible!

with some friends and shortly afterward he complained of ear pain. He didn't feel or hear any water in his ears. This morning it still hurts and he says he can't hear from that ear. I looked up "swimmer's ear" which is an infection which this doesn't sound like since it happened so quickly. Must we head to the doctor today?

Swimmer's ear can cause HORRIBLE pain and can happen quickly. I'd go in if he's in real pain. If his ear was just blocked, I'd wait it out. I get it on a fairly regular basis - my ears just don't drain super well.