Menu

What to Use for High School Chemistry and Physics?

My husband is an M.D. and teaches our science. He either teaches the curriculum himself, or manages/adminstrates it using BJU textbooks. We've gone their recommended track: 9th Earth Science, 10th Life Science, 11th Chemistry, 12th Physics. When he administrates and doesn't teach, we've rented the dvds from former Homesat classes and he conducts the experiments, grades and explains concepts.

We're going to do Conceptual Chemistry in Gr. 9 and have already bought it all (mostly used). We bought the Conceptual Chemistry Alive! and Thinkwell Chemistry CD-Roms as well (but at least one of those comes in DVD.) We're also planning on using Conceptual Physics in Gr. 10/sophomore year along with the Feynman lectures. The Feynman lectures can be found for free on the internet, but I'm not sure if our computer will be able to do those--perhaps we'll have a new one by then. My brother is sending me his copy of Conceptual Physics, so that's probably a sure thing for us.

For Biology, in gr. 11/junior year, we're considerning combining Campbell with Apologia, but I'm not deciding that for sure yet.

For her last year, I'm not sure yet. Somewhere in there she'll do at least one AP Science course, most likely in her favourite area at that time. I suspect she'll do 5 or more science courses, with 1 or 2 of them being electives. She really, really enjoys most science. Earth science bores her, though.