Menu

Has anyone done Chalkdust PreAlgebra *after* Saxon 8/7?

My mind was all made up to go to Chalkdust Algebra after finishing 8/7, because I've been convinced that 8/7 is adequate preparation for algebra, but now I'm not so sure. I saw the Larson Algebra I text a few days ago, and I'm not sure we'll be ready for it after Saxon 8/7. We have about 1/4 of the Saxon 8/7 text to complete, but still... there seems to be a huge jump to the Larson text.

And then a friend who has graduated several students advised me to never skip a level, even if dd is doing well in 8/7 to not skip that year of prealgebra. Especially since dd's a year ahead of schedule in math anyway.

So now I'm thinking about CD prealgebra next year instead. I don't mind doing it if it will give her the edge, but I don't want to lose momentum and do this course if it's not necessary.

Has anyone done this? Held off Algebra for one more year just to make sure their student is fully prepared?

I could have her take the Chalkdust placement test, however... I wouldn't have her do that until she finished 8/7. And if I decide to put her in the prealgebra course next year, I think I'll just quit 8/7 now (or give a cursory overview of the rest of the text), take the summer off, and start the CD Prealgebra in the fall. I'm really not worried about whether she places in the Algebra course or not, what I'm worried about is whether the course will be a struggle for her (and I'm not sure the placement test will be a good indicator of that). That's why I'm looking for BTDT feedback.

Thanks for any input!

Robin

You might just want to email CD and ask them about placement. I have the CD Prealgebra text and I really like it. I'll be using it with my 7th grader who's just finished Saxon 7/6, but this is my gifted DC. If it had been DS#2, I would've done CD prealgebra after Saxon 8/7. Really you know your child's ability best, but asking Dana Mosely himself might give you the assurance you need.

My mind was all made up to go to Chalkdust Algebra after finishing 8/7, because I've been convinced that 8/7 is adequate preparation for algebra, but now I'm not so sure.

Robin,

I had one that used Saxon 87, and then went directly into Saxon Algebra I and did fine. My next one used Singapore 1-6, and is finishing Saxon 87 this year. He seems pretty ready for Algebra to me. The last lessons in Math 87 really have quite a bit of Algebra content (Lessons 85 & up). If you did decide to go with Algebra next year, then you probably would want to finish the Math 87 book.

JM2Cents,

Brenda

Robin,

I can't comment about Saxon, since I haven't used 8/7, but I did use Cd Pre-Alg with my oldest. In 7th grade, my dd started the Pre-Alg program, but just didn't seem to have a solid grasp on the material in the spring. I slowed down and reviewed during the spring, gave her the summer off, and then began Cd Pre-Alg again in 8th grade instead of moving her to Alg I. I backed her up a few chapters (to repeat), and she finished the book early. I had a copy of TT Pre-Alg that we never really used, but I've been having her do the last few chapters just to keep her busy and to keep the math fresh.

I'm not in a big hurry-she has four math credits to complete in high school, so if she does Alg I, Geomoetry, Alg II, and Trig/Pre-Calc, that's good enough for me!!

Robin,

I can't comment about Saxon, since I haven't used 8/7, but I did use Cd Pre-Alg with my oldest. In 7th grade, my dd started the Pre-Alg program, but just didn't seem to have a solid grasp on the material in the spring. I slowed down and reviewed during the spring, gave her the summer off, and then began Cd Pre-Alg again in 8th grade instead of moving her to Alg I. I backed her up a few chapters (to repeat), and she finished the book early. I had a copy of TT Pre-Alg that we never really used, but I've been having her do the last few chapters just to keep her busy and to keep the math fresh.

I'm not in a big hurry-she has four math credits to complete in high school, so if she does Alg I, Geomoetry, Alg II, and Trig/Pre-Calc, that's good enough for me!!

We also found that there was SO much material in CD's Pre-Algebra that we had to spread it out over 7th & 8th grade too. Bean will finish up Ch 5 tomorrow and will review a bit and start Ch 6 in August when she starts "8th grade".

She'll have the same 4 math credits in HS: Alg I, Geometry, Alg II and Trig/Pre-Calc.