Menu

Can we talk AP Biology?

DD would like to do AP Biology next year for 9th. We will be moving internationally sometime in the fall and it seems that this is a science that can probably done even while living out of a hotel for a number of weeks. So, I went to the College board website and now understand that this year it's going to be the "new and improved" AP Biology test. And I read a lot of the teacher propaganda that they published as well. I have an old copy of Starr/Taggart (one of the recommended texts) that I found at a tag sale last year, and I'm planning on buying a newer version of Campbell/Reece as well. But I'm not clear on what to have her do. Several teachers have posted general syllabi, but they all seem to be for the old test. So, does anyone know how to actually do AP Biology as a homeschooler?

Thanks.

jeri

If you have poked around the AP Central site, you probably have seen this. The College Board keeps changing the links though, so just when I think I have them all safely tucked away . . .

AP Bio Exams

I don't know about the changes to the AP Bio exam, but these samples of student tests and scores were always very helpful to us.

Best of luck!

~Brigid

The test is changing next year so it is in some ways the worst year to be doing it. I would recommend getting on the AP Biology teachers list. For some of the AP lists I am on, I had to provide evidence that I am a teacher; my stamped-as-received "Letter of Intent to Provide Home Education" was accepted for this so if you have any reporting paperwork in your area a scanned copy of that should suffice if the list requests such. I can't remember if AP Bio specifically requested evidence or not. In any case, I think following teachers' discussions of the course for next year is extremely valuable.

When I took the test in 1990, I got a 5 and was better prepared for the sophomore for majors course than the students who had taken the freshman courses at my college. However, I did have a PhD'ed former university professor teaching it in my high school. We used the first edition Campbell and covered every single chapter. The class was also after lunch, and all of us had permanent hall passes to go there with our lunches; eating in the room was permitted until labs were actually started (on lab days). So, done really well in a school then, we had more like a period and a half every day plus two extended lab periods per week and a lot of reading homework. The new test is supposed to cover less ground in more depth than the old test did, but exactly how that will play out remains to be seen. In any case, I would plan to spend a substantial amount of time on this course.

We used Campbell and Reese with a Test bank of multiple choice tests. We also had the study guide and workbook that went with the text. I had her write some of the essays that I found in the Cliff's AP bio review book. The MIT intro to bio class had several quizzes and tests posted and I used some of their questions as essays. You'll need the AP bio Lab book, We did some of the labs and used some on-line resources to generate activities about the subjects that we could not do the "normal labs" for (too expensive or too technical). The exercises in the Lab book are doable without having done the labs themselves if you use the on-line resources. Lab Bench (on-line videos and exercises) and Bozeman Biology (you tube videos) were good resources for review and clarification.

I do not know how well she did on the exam. It was not enjoyable to her (she loves bio) b/c it was so much of a cram....sometimes 3 chap./week. I would have liked a more synthetic approach, using the text as a reference.

Edited by memphispeg
add info

Now I'm not sure if I'm wishing it is next year instead! Anyway, thansk for pointing that out--very important! I must have misread what I saw.

Memphispeg, thanks for the info--just what I need! So, basically as long as your kid can "do" the entire Campbell/reece book, then they've covered all the topics and should do well on the test. Of course, lots of additional test practice, cramming, Cliff notes, too. but really, you just open the book and dive in, right? BTW, did buy the study guide but now need to find the lab book. do you have a link? boy, this college stuff gets expensive!

jeri

Jeri

I bought the lab book from alibris, I think. It was v. expensive. It says www. collegeboard.com/ap on the back. It was the 2001 Biology Lab manual edition for students. No ISBN # on it at all. It was pricey and I think if you google enough you could manage to put together one for yourself. The Bozeman guy covers lots of them and Ward Scientific had some of the lab print outs.

just coming to ask something similar.

What is the difference between AP biology and Advaned Biology.

Trying to finalize some plans for my youngest.

he took Apologia Biology at a coop

and we worked through part of Advanced Biology this year (lots of health issues so things just didn't get done) So He has talked about wanting an AP class so is there a difference with AP Biology and Advanced Biology?

Who is the publisher?

thanks.

Jeri

I shouldn't post late at night the mind just doesn't go right.

anyway. Apologia Advanced Biology.

I was looking at Thinkwell's AP biology, and was wondering how it fit in with the advanced bio.