Menu

CLE or MUS? aka WHY do I read the curriculum board????

cin

OK, we are all set to start MUS next month. (we school all year round). But now I've been looking at CLE math, and it seems really good. I mean REALLY good. We switched to MUS because R&S was just tooooooo boring and too much work.

Which one do you prefer and why?

They are so different...kinda the comparing apples and oranges thing.

My only beef with CLE is how it is lacking in conceptual teaching. I only have through grade 2 but I was skimming the manual last night and saw the explanation for borrowing when subtracting. It said tell the students "the tens like to share" so you can take one (ten) over to the ones.

I used MUS very briefly so I don't feel qualified to say much about it. I will say that I prefer CLE if you (teacher) can bring in the conceptual teaching on your own. I am using CLE as a spiral review of our main program and like it very much. If I was a better math teacher, CLE would probably be our main and only program.

Mine found the MUS blocks added an extra step to everything. They liked CLE much better but it became too slow for them with all the review. Other than that, CLE is, IMO the better program.

ACtually, that's how I'm leaning. My younger one hates school (1st grade? where did that come from?) So the MUS blocks and video make it fun. My oldest one HATES math, so getting it done quicker is her goal. And honestly, I didn't like MUS's description/explanation of long division and advanced multiplication. *I* was confused by some of it. :001_huh:

:lurk5:

And honestly, I didn't like MUS's description/explanation of long division and advanced multiplication. *I* was confused by some of it. :001_huh:

:lurk5:

:iagree: We had the same problem plus the fact that my ds seems to need a ton of review. He was just not mastering. We are switching to R&S this coming year.

And honestly, I didn't like MUS's description/explanation of long division and advanced multiplication. *I* was confused by some of it. :001_huh:

I get what you are saying. We also had some issues. But here's what we did. I taught my son the MUS method, and then I also taught him the method that I know. I let him choose which method made more sense to him. I also did the same with division, and let him decide what made more sense to him.

Although at first glance, MUS doesn't seem to have much review (I thought this as well), if you really pay attention, you will see how there is review of previously taught concepts in almost all of the lessons in each book. (there is addition in advanced multiplication, subtraction in advanced division, addition/multiplication/subtraction in fractions). I think it's easy to get scared away from it because it is a mastery program, and it can be very repetitive and doesn't cover the one thousand topics that are in a traditional spiral math program. But that's what makes it unique. We actually supplemented this school year with a program called TenMarks. (Read my review of TenMarks)

I cannot give an opinion about CLE because I have not used it. However, after extensively considering it for my daughter for next year, I've decided to stick with MUS. CLE is a spiral math program, and while many topics are introduced, I have to wonder, as with a lot of other spiral math programs, what topics will my daughter be able to truly master? This was the problem we had with A Beka math I used with her this year. I bought the worktext because it was inexpensive, but it was aggressive, and confusing. So many topics on one page left us both with spinning heads! And that was just first grade math.

The best suggestion we can all give each other, and it has been posted many times here before, is to use what works best for your child. I happen to love MUS for the very reasons most other people do not love it. And that's okay. Because those people are probably using CLE or Abeka and love it for the very reasons that I don't! :001_smile: