Menu

Best books about ADHD?

What are your favorite picks for basic books about ADHD? I'm especially interested in books that include information that will help a parent of a young child with ADHD understand the need for structure in family life and will give ideas on how to build routine to build predictability in such a child's life.

oh man--been reading alot of adhd/autism/asperger's books lately-any I can get my hands on really....I'm sure others will have more suggestions about what you're looking for but I've read these lately and I've liked them-very helpful for us at least...I've had good luck in finding books just doing a search on amazon like for "adhd".....

THE ADHD/AUTISM CONNECTION (diane m kennedy)

Setting Limits with your strong willed child (robert j mackenzie)

I should make it clear that I'm looking for recommendations I can make to another mom. She has a young elementary age child with ADHD & dyslexia, is not homeschooling & isn't necessarily open to it, though she admires what I've accomplished.

I, personally, have gotten to the point where I'm reading professional level books about executive function issues and about how we need to accommodate for college. It has been a long time since I've read books about building basic parenting routines & I'm sure there are newer and better ones out than what I was reading 10-20 years ago.

oh man--been reading alot of adhd/autism/asperger's books lately-any I can get my hands on really....I'm sure others will have more suggestions about what you're looking for but I've read these lately and I've liked them-very helpful for us at least...I've had good luck in finding books just doing a search on amazon like for "adhd".....

THE ADHD/AUTISM CONNECTION (diane m kennedy)

Setting Limits with your strong willed child (robert j mackenzie)

I'll check out the Setting Limits book. It may been along the lines of what I'm looking for. Can you share an example of how it has been helpful for you?

It may depend on your style and stage you are in with homeschooling. I don't care to know how to homeschool at this point, we're starting our 7th year. I don't care to know the neurological why's, they've been formally diagnosed. I want to know what I can do to encouarage things to go right, how I can help them be their best, what simply is what it is, what is pliable, and what to do.

So far I've found The ADHD Book of Lists the most helpful along with Smart Parenting for Smart Kids. The second title is not specific to ADHD, but I think a wonderful read for all parents of quirky kids.

I think I will read the Smart Parenting book. It might give me all the hints I needed 10 years ago and possibly this mom could use. I think the Book of Lists book might be a little overwhelming at the moment for this mom, but I may preview it for future recommendation. I have Sandra Rief's other book on How to Reach and Teach Children with ADD/ADHD and I like her work.

Can you share something about how the Smart Parenting book has been helpful?

The Setting limits book in a nutshell teaches you (by examples of different behavior situations) how to tell your child specificly what it is that you want him/her to do (or not do) and guides you in how to get that across to the child at their level and then with the consequences teaches you how to be consistant---I have tried to use several things I've learned in the book with him and they have worked....not all the time,but gotta start somewhere.....

My favorite books have been by Dr. Kenneth Bock...Healing the New Childhood Epedemic~the 4 A's...

AND 'Healing ADD/ADHD' by Dr. Daniel Amen. Very good...as a family of adhd'ers :) we not only learned alot about how our bodies respond and function differently and what we can do to be operating at our best...but since applying alot of the recommendations we have experienced some great changes in our overall well-being (alot of our symptoms are balanced and/or at low status) plus lot of helps as far as dealing with discipline and family life, etc. I got both from the library (amongst many others)...these became keepers!

Hope you find some good resources!

Edited by Mission-Driven-Mom