Menu

Please help me line up LA for next year.

Sahamamama

This year (1st grade) our LA line-up is:

Handwriting--ZB Cursive

Spelling--AAS 2

Vocabulary--Wordly Wise 3000

Dictionary & Reference--Simple 10 minutes assignments

Writing--WWE 1 (copywork & narration)

Grammar--FLL 2 (grammar & mechanics)

Memory Work--Our own choice of poems

Reading--Story Time Treasures & More Story Time Treasures

Reading--Guided reading, independent reading, audiobooks, and read alouds

I'm trying to line up a different kind of LA experience for next year (2nd grade). Handwriting will stay the same (more Zaner Bloser). We'll stick with AAS 3 for spelling. We'll also do Wordly Wise again (I'd like to). Memory work will come from various sources. Reading guides will come from Memoria Press (2nd & 3rd grade guides).

BUT, I need help figuring out what to use in place of WWE and/or FLL. These just are not coming back into the line-up for next year. WWE is too cut-and-dry for my daughter. What could I use for a more creative, expressive, pen-in-hand type of student? She enjoys poetry immensely -- actually abnormally so for a six year old. Would MCT Island suit us? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Sahamamama

I don't have any suggestions for replacements for FLL and WWE. As for using MCT Island with a 2nd grader, you would likely be fine. The problem would be that Town may be too hard for a 3rd grader, and Voyage would be quite hard for a 4th grader. So then you would need something else in between either Island and Town or Town and Voyage.

I don't have any suggestions for replacements for FLL and WWE. As for using MCT Island with a 2nd grader, you would likely be fine. The problem would be that Town may be too hard for a 3rd grader, and Voyage would be quite hard for a 4th grader. So then you would need something else in between either Island and Town or Town and Voyage.

Thanks, Matilda! I'm looking at GWG to replace FLL, and perhaps Winning with Writing (same company) to replace WWE. But I'm not sure. Thanks for some feedback.

One question about MCT: I've been looking at it all night, and from what I see, it looks like books that we would read together. :confused: Is there any written work? I don't see what MCT Island has the student actually do. Also, the teacher manuals seem to be nearly exact replicas of the student books, with a few extra comments in purple boxes?

IDK... sigh. I was really hoping for some input here.

Ummm... You could try Complete Writing Lessons for the Primary Grades? The Cathy Duffy review claims that "If you like creative writing, this is the book to use for beginning writing!" Unfortunately, as Ms. Duffy states and as can be seen in the samples provided by the publisher (click "preview pages" to see samples), this was originally designed for use in public schools, so the content is secular and presupposes a classroom full of students, so you'd have to do some adapting. It also looks rather teacher-intensive, although honestly, everything in second grade looks teacher-intensive.

I wish I had your problem, by the way. My son, who is also entering second grade, has no desire to write creatively.