Menu

Question re: AP classes & dual enrollment

I've seen this topic come up every so often. In fact, here's a thread you might find of interest:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17400

My teen took an out of the home AP class in 10th. This year, she's taken two AP classes and also taken classes at the local community college. She'll be taking a couple of SAT subject tests in June. This is just the mix that has worked out best for her/us. She hopes to enter college as a freshman (not a transfer) after she finishes twelfth grade.

Regards,

Kareni

I don't know if this works the same way in all states, but based on our experience with dual enrollment, my answer would be no. My ds never took any AP classes or SAT II tests. He did take classes dual enrolled at both a local university and at a CC. His college credits from those classes transferred without problem (however we did contact his top uni choice PRIOR to taking the classes to inquire whether or not they would transfer)

Unless you are looking at colleges taht don't like transfer credits (I remember Ria posting about this issue) or your CC has poor quality classes (ours did which is why ds took science and math classes dual enrolled at the uni, not CC), I would think AP classes would be redundant.

I have never heard of anyone taking both CC classes and APs - they both serve the same purpose ie are a first year college level course. If you did the AP first, you would be covering the same work you would cover in the CC class (more-or-less).

Meryl

I have never heard of anyone taking both CC classes and APs - they both serve the same purpose ie are a first year college level course. If you did the AP first, you would be covering the same work you would cover in the CC class (more-or-less).

In my daughter's case, she is taking APs in classes that she is not taking at the community college. For example, she is taking AP Latin as the local community college offers only French, Spanish, and a native American language. She will be/has been doing Literature and composition classes at the community college but will not be taking AP tests in those areas.

She has taken/will take SAT subject tests in areas in which she has taken AP or community college classes. This is because several of her colleges of interest require two or three SAT subject test scores for admission.

Regards,

Kareni

I was in the admissions office of our local state university today to enroll my 10th-grade daughter for dual-credit courses for next fall. The admissions counselor who handles all the dual credit students told me that, in her experience, some public school students prefer the dual-credit because there is less busy work than in the high school AP courses. She also gave some comparisions between coursework, e.g. English 1301/1302 (dual credit) would be the equivalent of junior English (AP) or regular senior English while sophomore level English courses (dual credit) would cover material presented in AP senior English. We are blessed to have a four-year university that offers dual-credit with scholarships!!

I'm interested to follow this post and hear other opinions and comparision between dual-credit, AP, and SAT subject tests.

My kids do what Kareni's have done - they take some AP classes, and some University classes. This to prove that they can do tough college work, and that they can get along well in a classroom environment. They plan to obtain teacher recs from both areas.

The University is an average 4 year private school. Their SAT 50th percentile is about 1100. Without exception, all of the AP classes have been more difficult, required more reading, writing, and interpreting of data, than the University classes. We have done sciences, languages, and math courses in both places.

Additionally, keep in mind that although 95% of the colleges in the US will give you credit for AP work (sometimes the score needs to be a 5), many selective universities will not transfer credit in sciences or languages. This is because they view their proprietary courses as a better foundation for future levels of learning. So, although a 5 on AP Spanish may place you out of a language requirement altogether, Spanish 101 and 102 will almost never exempt you from the same.

If you have any idea where your dc are interested in attending, I would seek information directly from them. If you plan on selective schools or intend on striving for merit money, you want to make your dc look as attractive as possible. That means amassing as many credentials as you can to prove that they can function successfully in any environment.

Good luck!

Staci

Thanks, everyone, for your input. My son will have the math and science necessary when he starts dual enrollment to start the pre-engineering track at the CC. SO, I'm thinking CLEPping some non-math or science courses would help in lightening the load since the goal is an AA in the 2 yrs. of dual enrollment and there are more courses than can be fit in 2 years (unless the student takes some over the summer).

Kimm