Menu

Low score on English part of Explore Test ?

Guest aliburns2

Guest aliburns2

Hi, my 11 yo scores for English usage/mechanics and rhetorical skillls on the ACT Explore were considerably lower than his other scores. What program can you suggest to help with this area ? He will be in 6th next year. Thanks!!

Guest aliburns2

His 5th grade year used a typical "Language Arts" text, lots of creative writing, book reports, letter writing etc... not so much actual grammar or punctuatuion. I would like to find a curriculum and use it this summer

to "catch up" in the area of grammar and punctuation. Thanks

His 5th grade year used a typical "Language Arts" text, lots of creative writing, book reports, letter writing etc... not so much actual grammar or punctuatuion. I would like to find a curriculum and use it this summer

to "catch up" in the area of grammar and punctuation. Thanks

I think if you want to test your child using a test intended and normed for 8th graders, you probably ought to use materials that align to typical state standards for 8th graders.

Well, on the usage/mechanics section.....

When we do a standardized text, this the the section that I find most tricky, even though it should be a breeze. Here is why... my kids will automatically correct bad wording, usage, etc. in their head and move on. I have to drill into them that that is the purpose of that part. As we tend to use proper grammar/usage in our daily lives they think that there must be a trick.

Anyway, I think many things like lower scoring on parts of tests has more to due with understanding how certain questions are worded, and therefore what answer is being looked for, or a certain unfamiliarity.

One of the local "excellent" schools has kids from 1st grade doing 2 pages of standardized test prep every day before they can go to recess. Do you think they will test well? Probably.

gotta go....

Guest aliburns2

I suppose what concerns me is the difference in the english score vs all the other subjects, there is almost a 20 point difference. He also took the Iowa basics and he had similiar results , english scores lower by about 10 points or so. Doesn't this mean he has a weakness in this area?

I do get what radiobrain is saying about understanding the test

itself. I did not have him do any standardized test taking preparation.

There seem to be many, many grammar choices available, so many in fact

that I am dazed!! Is there one that could be used over the summer that

could be effective for him?

Thank you so much for you kind help.

Most people have subjects which they are better at or worse at... I wouldn't be necessarily worried.

Are you concerned your son is missing some knowledge/skills in punctuation and writing mechanics that are typically taught by fifth grade and you'd like to remediate? Have you noticed a problem with his writing or is it just a testing issue? If it's a concern about writing, there are lots of workbooks aimed at upper elementary students targeting mechanics. Scholastic and Evan-Moor and EPS all publish such books. If it's just a testing issue (as in, he didn't understand the question format...) I wouldn't worry at all.

Or... Are you concerned because your son performs above grade level on standardized tests in math and you want him to perform equally well in Language Arts? If so, you might consider how much value and emphasis you want to put on the results of any particular standardized test. Is the assessment actually testing what you have been teaching? Who is your son being compared with? Do you feel that the end-goal should be high performance on a multiple choice standardized test or is your goal for your son actual ability to write coherently and correctly? If your goal is high performance on a test, I'd suggest you do test prep for the specific test. If your goal for your son is writing ability (which is what the Explore is trying to get at in asking those English usage questions), then I suggest you look to a writing curriculum (do a search on these forums for some ideas... Winning with Writing just came out and looks easy to implement).

Guest aliburns2

Thanks Momling,

I am not concerned about the scores in themselves, I am concerned that he is lacking skills. I looked at the Evan Moor grammar & punctuation book, is this the title you suggest? Would you get 5th or 6th grade? I will

look at Winning with Writing also.

My DD had a major improvement on her EXPLORE English score this year from last year's ITBS language & mechanics sections after using Evan-Moor Daily Paragraph Editing. The scores are not directly comparable because they are from different tests but the tested skills are similar enough that I feel confident there was real progress.

For next year's EXPLORE, I would use the grade 6+ book.