Menu

Has anyone tried dual-enrollment in a normal school?

Dd5 is trying out a charter school next year, but TBH it's mostly for the "extras"--drama class, music class, art class, dance class, ASL, Spanish, etc (uni-model). They definitely try to keep the academics at the student's level as much as possible, but I don't know how that will play out with dd. If she ends up bored with the academics, I'm considering pulling the dual enrollment card so she can do the extras but I can teach the academics. Has anyone done this? I know it's legal here but I don't know of anyone who has actually tried.

(At the moment I'm getting her schooling done, but I have a general track record of getting maybe 1 good school day in a week, so it felt like I was doing her a real disservice keeping her here, hence the charter school. I'm working on ADD treatments right now & things are improving, but she is still insanely excited about starting at this school.)

Edited by LittleIzumi

Dd5 is trying out a charter school next year, but TBH it's mostly for the "extras"--drama class, music class, art class, dance class, ASL, Spanish, etc (uni-model). They definitely try to keep the academics at the student's level as much as possible, but I don't know how that will play out with dd. If she ends up bored with the academics, I'm considering pulling the dual enrollment card so she can do the extras but I can teach the academics. Has anyone done this? I know it's legal here but I don't know of anyone who has actually tried.

(At the moment I'm getting her schooling done, but I have a general track record of getting maybe 1 good school day in a week, so it felt like I was doing her a real disservice keeping her here, hence the charter school. I'm working on ADD treatments right now & things are improving, but she is still insanely excited about starting at this school.)

We live in an area where homeschooled students may take up to 3 courses at the public school. I do know a couple of people who do this, but only at the high school level. One is a gifted artist and took 2 D art,art history, and AP art that way.

My youngest ds has done a club activity through the schools, Math Counts. However, we only did it for one yr b/c it was way below our standards.

FWIW, I think the term you are looking for might be concurrent enrollment. (not positive about that) It would not be dual enrollment. The "dual" in "dual enrollment" stands for receiving 2 simultaneous credits for a course: one for high school and one for college. It doesn't pertain to doing some courses out of the home through a school and some at home (though that certainly makes some degree of sense. :001_smile:)

HTH

For the legal record, ;) dual enrollment in Utah includes:

" (3) The minor may participate in any academic activity in the public school available to students in the minor's grade or age group, subject to compliance with the same rules and requirements that apply to a full-time student's participation in the activity."

and

" (b) A student enrolled in a dual enrollment program in a charter school is considered a student of the charter school for purposes of state funding to the extent of the student's participation in the charter school programs."

I love my state. :D

And yes, we will be afterschooling regardless.

For the legal record, ;) dual enrollment in Utah includes:

" (3) The minor may participate in any academic activity in the public school available to students in the minor's grade or age group, subject to compliance with the same rules and requirements that apply to a full-time student's participation in the activity."

and

" (b) A student enrolled in a dual enrollment program in a charter school is considered a student of the charter school for purposes of state funding to the extent of the student's participation in the charter school programs."

I love my state. :D

And yes, we will be afterschooling regardless.

Interesting. Every state is surely different. Around here dual enrollment is understood to mean college courses. On the forums, it is going to be typically how it is understood as well.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Interesting. Every state is surely different. Around here dual enrollment is understood to mean college courses. On the forums, it is going to be typically how it is understood as well.

Interesting! It's the opposite here--concurrent enrollment generally means college/high school combo credits, and dual enrollment is PS & homeschool together.

It feels weird to be considering a charter school as mostly free extracurriculars, but legally it's allowed.... I'm going to poke around the big city homeschool group and see if anyone has tried it.

My kids go to school part time. Here in Oregon we don't have a special status for this. I enroll them in school and I also register them as homeschoolers. I don't think anyone checks or cares that they are registered twice since homeschooling doesn't get any tax money. I have an agreement with the principal and the teachers and after some wariness the first year, everyone is on board and I have no problems at all with teachers or staff.

In our case I have them in school most of the morning and I pick them up after lunch recess. Actually, my oldest comes in late and leaves early. He'll be in middle school next year so we will block the time a little differently but I'm not sure how it will work out yet since I don't know their schedule.

The is very effective for us. I make sure they get the best that school has to offer and they get to be with their friends and have specials (with some exceptions when it doesn't fit our schedule). I have the afternoons to teach what they are not getting at school and especially the things that I teach well and are important to me. Even if they are in a bad year and are learning nothing at school, I can adjust our homeschool time to make up for it. It is very empowering.

My dc go to public school (not charter) for music only. We met with the principal last fall, and he offered to help ds1 any way he could. He could do any academic or enrichment classes at the middle school, but we decided that for the most part his time is better spent at home. He loves band though, and that has worked out really well.

I just enrolled DS at a private school part time for next year. It's for KG, and although his actual level is higher across the board, I wanted him to be part of the "fun stuff" of kindy--circle time, crafts, etc. That way I can just hit a few challenging things in the PM at home plus our religious instruction. I'm considering to ask them to move him up in math at least since we are in 1st grade math now and by the fall he'll be bored with kindy math.

You can never really know unless you ask--I thought the school would have an issue with part time enrollment, but they just shrugged and said, "as long as you pay full tuition, we don't really care when you take him home." It's still cheaper than his old half day pre-K so I think it should be worth it for a half day.