Menu

QUICK!! SM SE HIG - tell me how it's awesome ;)

Does SM SE have daily plans? It is simple do this lesson, then the next? Or is it awkward page/lesson breaks like the US edition? Does the HIG break it into daily lessons? What sort of hands-on is there? What sort of prep is required? Do you use the HIG for each lesson (I'm not mathy, at all, so maybe I should ask if *I* need to use it for each lesson)?

I'm debating using the HOD hands-on plans for 1A-2B US Ed. along with the textbook and mental math from the HIG's. THEN changing over to SE for 3A on up and using the HIGs.

Now, I'm torn b/c I really like the layout and look of the SE so much better. I'm about to buy the US edition for 1B-2B now unless someone stops me!!!!

Can anyone contrast and compare the actual hands-on and such of the HOD plans for US and the HIG plans for SE in 1B as an example (or any level. I don't care! Just help!)

I must admit...you both made me laugh! :lol:

I've seen some samples on the HIG, TB, and WB for SE...but the problem is that they are random pages that don't relate to each other. I can't see the pages in the HIG that refer to the sample pages on the TB and WB.

Ease of use is key...I would definitely be able to get the hands-on done with the HOD guide using the US edition for 1A-2B since it's laid out right in front of me quite clearly and simply. The only addition I make is go through the text book pages. (Which there is a schedule for in the HOD guide as well). I need the HIG's to be about equally as simple and clear in what I am to do. I definitely prefer the SE HIG over the US HIG, but not sure if I prefer it over the HOD lessons.

Also hard to find SE used right now, obviously.

One more question.... I didn't have my son take the SE placement test...just the US ed. But, I just took a close look at it and he places in 1B of US ed and 2A of SE. Does that make sense??

What kept him from making higher on the US ed placement test was the two digit plus two digit horizontal problems....lined up vertically he could do it...no carrying though. (he can do 36 + 10 (or multiples of 10), but the horizontal 35 + 43 throws him.

Where would you place him. That seems like a simple fix to me. And he's not been formally taught mult/div. but does it quite intuitively.

Edited by hmschooling

What does HOD stand for?

Is the instructor's guide really necessary for the lower levels? I've got the textbooks for US 1a, 1b, and 2a. I read through them and seemed to understand everything so I think I will be OK teaching without the guides. What say you who have BTDT?

Thanks!

I haven't used it yet, but we have the hig for SE 1A. In the front it has a weekly breakdown of lessons (18wks) if you want to follow that schedule. Then it gives you specific teaching games/ideas, textbook pages and workbook pages for each section. I think it'll be pretty helpful even though the material is basic.

Here's a sample of some pages in 1B HIG. It lines the text and workbook up for me. Plus, in the front, it also gives schedules for the Extra Practice Books and Tests if you use them. It basically breaks it up into lesson chunks nicely. A few pages on suggested Manipulatives are included.

Each section starts with materials you'll need, description on what they'll learn (or need to have already learned).

Each individual lesson is 1-2 pages, showing teaching activities and different ways to teach the lesson, Reinforcement if needed, and Enrichment for the more mathy kids. Page numbers to the text and workbook are listed in gray on the side, as well as workbook answers.

In the back in the appendix, is the Mental Math problems (answers as well). These are super helpful although we don't get to them all the time. Finally, there are some pages that you can copy to use as manipulatives and such (100 chart, place value cards, etc...).

Some people don't use the HIGs. I find it to be very helpful and valuable. I was always good at math, but never learned the Singapore method, and I want to make sure I get my money's worth in using the program.

I've been meaning to blog more examples lining up the HIG page to the text/workbook/extra practice. Hopefully I can get that description up soon.

post-8662-13535084956781_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535084956781_thumb.jpg

I just received this week the HIG Std. 3A, 3B, and 4A. We finished SM U.S. 1 and 2 without using any HIGs but I was trying to save money and I was using Miquon and MM. However, people here have given such rave reviews for these HIG Std, I have to admit I went ahead and splurged since it's really hard to find any SM Std. used. Honestly, I just now looked at HIG 3A due to your question since we won't be able to start until I order the textbooks. There is a Scheme of Work in the beginning of the book (kind of like a Table of Contents) that breaks the assignments into 18 weeks and references the page numbers of the textbook, workbook, and the guide. Just with a quick glance through the book, I have to say I'm really glad that I bought these books and quite impressed with the thoroughness of the book in guiding the parent/teacher. We're actually on MM3B, but I want to backtrack a bit to Singapore 3A just so that I don't miss anything and also I really wanted to use the HIG 3A since we also use the IP and CWP.

Edited by crazyforlatin

I like it very much!!!! Thanks for the sample pages!! I look forward to seeing your post with TB/WB samples that line up with the HIG.

This division stuff also makes me think I should just start at 1 B even though much will be way too easy. Not like I have extra money laying around but the depth of the lesson using tbe HIG will give a very solid foundation. And some early success. :)

What manipulatives have you found most useful outside of the ones you can copy from the guide?

Cheapest place to buy SE?

Edited by hmschooling

Manipulatives for 1A/B

Here's what we've used so far, I bolded the ones we've used often:

• Small table whiteboard (pretty handy when doing math)
  • Base-10 set - we've used both official base-10 set and MUS blocks
  • Counters - any can be used
  • Hundred Chart - you can copy/laminate the one in the back of HIG if you don't have one
  • Numeral cards, Dot Cards, Playing cards (they have some in back of HIG but we used our old RightStart cards)
  • Clock - something with gears is preferable

Also suggested but we haven't used yet:

• Multilink cubes are suggested but so far we haven't used them much
  • Dice - we've skipped things with dice

Manipulatives for 1A/B

Here's what we've used so far, I bolded the ones we've used often:

• Small table whiteboard (pretty handy when doing math)

• Base-10 set - we've used both official base-10 set and MUS blocks

• Counters - any can be used

• Hundred Chart - you can copy/laminate the one in the back of HIG if you don't have one

• Numeral cards, Dot Cards, Playing cards (they have some in back of HIG but we used our old RightStart cards)

• Clock - something with gears is preferable

Also suggested but we haven't used yet:

• Multilink cubes are suggested but so far we haven't used them much

• Dice - we've skipped things with dice

We have pretty much all those! You realize y'all totally changed my plans, right?! Lol Now to get the workbooks for my DD's 3A (taking step back to let us both better grasp SM) and then all of it for my son's 1B. I've for to find a good deal somewhere! Went to curriculum sale yesterday and missed a great deal in SE bc I was searching for US Ed. Darn it.

So is rainbow resource the cheapest place y'all have found?

I just bought all of mine at adoremus.com when they had an Easter discount. But yes, I think Rainbow Resource might be cheaper than christianbook or adoremus (when not on sale). If there are other places, I would like to know as well since I need the textbooks very soon. MelissaMom has some on sale in the sales forum.

:hurray::thumbup::party:

It's all ordered!!!!!!! Went through some of the SM1A IP book we already had with DS today and he loved it! Especially the challenge section. :) The semester he has spent in public school with "new math" I can see has messed him up a bit, but he is still so very math intuitive...he'll snap out of that mess soon. ;) I'm just glad he isn't totally reliant on drawing everything dot by dot to work things out....Poor guy is so happy to not have to explain every. single. step. with either drawing or words, and it just tickled pink to be able to use his head again! They had my 4th grader drawing dots and using fingers and not an ounce of facts work for either of them :001_huh: No wonder we've backtracked in math and didn't gain anything this last semester. Darn new math. Yay for Singapore and all REAL math! ;)