Menu

More about spelling

PIE!

My oldest will be starting second grade, and we've settled into most of our curricula. But I'm still waffling about spelling.

We started with Spelling Workout, which both of us hated and wasn't improving her spelling one bit. Then we switched over to Sequential Spelling which I love and she hates. Her spelling has drastically improved with it. I'm amazed at how well she can spell words she's never heard before. But getting her to do it is much worse than a trip to the dentist (after all, the dentist gives her a toy and a new tooth brush).

Could we find something that we both like that will work? It seems AAS is very popular here, though I don't really know how it works. Would it be both fun and make her think things through?

Or, since I know Sequential Spelling gives us good results despite her attitude, should we stick with it?

Or is there another great option?

Well, I feel like a SHOULD say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Ok, now my actual answer;)

Spelling hasn't improved a lot here over the past year either, and I'm working on a solution. I asked about AAS earlier this week and got great advice as well as ideas for other programs like it but in workbook format.

Here's the thread:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279064

Hope this helps

Well, if she hates it that much, I would try to find something else too!

I do think most kids find AAS to be fun (or at least interesting/effective)--it has multisensory components, so they are using sight, sound, and touch which helps with retention. My kids both liked the letter tiles when they were younger (actually my 12 yo still uses them sometimes, LOL!). Here's a video a mom made of an older level/older kids that might give you an idea of what it's like. Merry :-)