Menu

Homeschooling office/classroom essentials?

I struggle pretty hard to keep an organized homeschool office/classroom without much success. So I am curious, and hoping for a lot of great ideas from all you veterans out there!

What do you consider your most useful, essential, lifesaving, brilliant, ingenious, etc. items or ideas for your homeschooling?

It can be a piece of furniture, a tool, an office supply, an organizational tip, even a curriculum item. The only requirement is that it made you go, "wow! That's one less thing I have to worry about."

I'm all ears! :bigear:

well, I did post a bunch of stuff on the other thread (I'm sorry, I can't help it. I talk a lot)

But one thing that I have that I didn't post there is my smartphone. We would have never gotten smartphones, but my brother let us join on his family plan and so we pay the exact same money but get unlimited texting and data now too.

How this enters into the organizing equation? Well, let me tell you. Pigby is obsessed with Angry Birds. OB. SESSED. :lol:Soooooo....that little white board that I was talking about on the other thread? On it he gets 20 tallies a day. Whenever he whines, back talks, is mean, disobedient, etc, he starts losing tallies. When he does his school work without whining, arguing, you get the idea, he gets four more tallies (he only does four subjects). Each tally is worth one minute of playing on my phone after dinner. It's also useful for making him do his chores. I set the timer for a chore, if it's not done when the timer goes off, he loses more tallies.

Since I'm not gonna be cleaning up after him his whole life and I can't keep everything organized without help, I use my phone to motivate him. It works. For now, at least.

A globe

Electric pencil sharpener

A fairly new computer with plenty of storage for educational games, etc.

Bookshelves - lots and lots of bookshelves!

Netflix (it was really nice while it lasted ....)

Large timelines that wrapped around the walls of our dining room to help the kids

place events in history (it made for interesting dinner conversation)

I have a drawer very handy where I put every essential paper. Once a week I wander right through it.

I have a "current issues" file that unresolved things move too after they leave my once-a-week drawer.

I throw out junk mail as I walk in the door.

When I put things in my files, I put the crucial stuff in the front .... things I will keep over a year. The less crucial goes in back, and twice a year I go through my files (okay, once a year) and start at the back of each file and chuck mercilessly.

HTH

well, I did post a bunch of stuff on the other thread (I'm sorry, I can't help it. I talk a lot)

But one thing that I have that I didn't post there is my smartphone. We would have never gotten smartphones, but my brother let us join on his family plan and so we pay the exact same money but get unlimited texting and data now too.

How this enters into the organizing equation? Well, let me tell you. Pigby is obsessed with Angry Birds. OB. SESSED. :lol:Soooooo....that little white board that I was talking about on the other thread? On it he gets 20 tallies a day. Whenever he whines, back talks, is mean, disobedient, etc, he starts losing tallies. When he does his school work without whining, arguing, you get the idea, he gets four more tallies (he only does four subjects). Each tally is worth one minute of playing on my phone after dinner. It's also useful for making him do his chores. I set the timer for a chore, if it's not done when the timer goes off, he loses more tallies.

Since I'm not gonna be cleaning up after him his whole life and I can't keep everything organized without help, I use my phone to motivate him. It works. For now, at least.

Have you found any educational games/apps as well? I used to have a smartphone, but just did not have the upfront this last time around.:glare: Now I'm regretting it. The more apps I see, the more I think it may be worth the investment. I already have the everything plan anyway.:tongue_smilie:

3-ring binders. I seriously have a love affair with binders. I use them for everything. Storing lesson plans, keeping the kids portfolio, keeping track of medical records, keeping my daily planner in one, you name it and it can probably be solved with a 3-ring binder.

3-ring binders. I seriously have a love affair with binders. I use them for everything. Storing lesson plans, keeping the kids portfolio, keeping track of medical records, keeping my daily planner in one, you name it and it can probably be solved with a 3-ring binder.

Lol. You sound like me with Excel on the computer! I'd use it for e-mail if I could! :lol:

Have you found any educational games/apps as well? I used to have a smartphone, but just did not have the upfront this last time around.:glare: Now I'm regretting it. The more apps I see, the more I think it may be worth the investment. I already have the everything plan anyway.:tongue_smilie:

Well, we have checkers, chess, backgammon, reversi, tic tac toe. He loves strategy games and it's easier to play on the phone where it can show him the possible moves. He's so young, he has a hard time with it in real life. Once he's older, I'll take that option away so he'll have to think about it more.

We also have one called Let's do Math (I think) where they can do their math tables. Beyond that....not yet.

OMG I have to use this! My twins are always stealing my phone. Whenever I can't find my phone, a twin has it somewhere playing Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, or Angry Birds Rio!