Menu

What K Reading or Spelling Program for a child who taught himself to read?

spaceman

I didn't homeschool K, but my son was reading at a 2.5 grade level before entering K, having taught himself to read without phonics. In first grade when I brought him home, I used AAS for spelling/phonics combined. He's done great with it.

Another option is to just go through OPGTR quickly, or you could do the free lessons at thephonicspages.org.

ETC and MCP Plaid Phonics might also be good choices, but I haven't used them.

Ds taught himself to read and gained proficiency very quickly without any instruction at all. He had figured out phonetic patterns on his own and does read phonetically. I chose to forego a reading program and use AAS for spelling. The spelling words are really too easy for him, but he's learning the rules and applying them well in the rest of his studies. This allows me to make sure he doesn't have gaps in his knowledge of phonics.

My son was reading before K as well. He did two years Spelling Workout, but by SWO-C I had to admit it wasn't working. I did teach him phonics after he was reading and we revisited phonics as spelling last year. But he still sight reads even with this knowledge and it didn't help his spelling! Half way through 3rd grade I bought him the Tricks of the Trade spelling notebook. It's main focus is spelling by syllables. Combined with what he already knows about phonics it has helped tremendously! After using it for a while it starts to isolate the mistakes he makes and see him really paying attention to those areas now.

SWR has been great for both my early readers. Doing phonics through spelling is filling in the gaps they've missed by teaching themselves to read without boring them with a learn to read program. It's very flexible so I've been able to customize to each of my dc.

I used Spelling Workout for Rebecca. It seemed like busywork to me. She also just read a lot of books on history and science, plus fun reading. She did a little Explode the Code, but we dropped it. It wasn't needed. Then we used AAS for a few levels.

Sylvia read the SL Readers 1, which were way too easy. Her reading took a leap partway through the year and she was devouring Ramona books for fun when we were having her read Green Eggs and Ham for school. Not so much. She went through a bunch of K and 1st grade workbooks on her own - she loves workbooks. I think she finished up the ETC books Becca left.

Plaid Phonics might be a good idea - we didn't use it in K, but Becca did C last year in 2nd grade. I'll have her do D in the fall, and Sylvia will do B.