Menu

For Sale By Owner, tips for getting it done?

Anyhoo, this isn't the first time selling by owner here. But it is the first time that I will be doing all the work. DH's just swamped with the writing, looking, filling out forms for job hunting that he asked me to do it. :glare:

Whatever job he finds, wherever that may be, selling this place is a good decision. This house is big and downsizing our monthly expenses is one of our goals. :tongue_smilie:

We've lived here for 3 years. It's a new house on a cul-de-sac. Houses in our subdivision are selling so even if it takes time we're thinking the biggest problem isn't going to be finding a buyer but finding a rental & moving a couple times this year since the farm we're going to buy from my folks isn't ready just yet--family icky sticky "politics."

So I need

A brochure listing this homes virtues and price--which we've already gotten a local realtor to do a price analysis.

A place to list

1. craigslist.com

2. forsalebyowner. com

3. email to the homeschool yahoo group

4. ?

A cleaning plan for "fire drills." Ugh, I hate those so much even though it's the necessary.

Decluttering.....haven't really finished unpacking so not so much of a problem. But I can start re-packing.

I would just say to put a lot of specifics about your home in your ads, etc. Right now we are on the SEARCHING end of things and I have made a lot of calls on a home to find out simple things like :

how many bedrooms

what school district

how many acres (we need at least 5)

is the garage attached or not

In your area, the things you list might be a bit different but the more you put in there, the less calls you will have to field for people that the house won't work for once they know the details.

Play up the special features, but don't lie. We saw one house that sounded very promising.......including a horse barn with hay loft.......that ended up being a 12x12 3 sided shelter with storage for about 15 bales of hay (if that) on top. That wasted our time and our realtor's time.