Menu

On the fence about Math?

fourcatmom

I have two girls, they are going into 4th and 5th grades. They have both missed some concepts from the past year and we are working through the ALEKS program over the summer to catch-up. I would like to start a new program in the fall, one that they both will enjoy but that is not exclusively online. I know when we started using ALEKS my ydd's whole attitude about Math got 100% better from the textbook we were using.

I am considering Teaching Textbooks and they both placed fine in going into 4 and 5 but I have also read that TT seems to be "behind" other programs. That might be good if they did miss concepts to have the repeat. I also like that it's part online because they seem to like that.

I also really like CLE for math but might use this combined with TT.

I also really, really like Right Start Math and I think they would enjoy using all the materials. It seems pricey but if it's a good program that I don't have a problem with that. My question is, if you order Level C kit is that inclusive for the year or are there other books you have to order.

Experience, suggestions, opinions?

:bigear:

Both of my girls were not enjoying math, and having trouble, so we tried teaching textbooks. They really like it! It offers a lot of review, and the program really does the teaching. My girls like the hints, and the math buddies. They are asking to do their math! I do think the program may be behind as far as grade level, but with struggling kids this is great for them. Both of my girls went from tears, and not good math grades to loving math, asking to do math, and getting A's. Do I have to say more?:)

Al

I chose Math Mammoth for our first homeschooling Math program. I was going to do TT, but the kids tested a full grade ahead and I had heard some concerning things about retention.

Math Mammoth looks like my favorite b/c it really looks to teach in a systematic way, while also teaching "why" and different ways of looking at math. The price was right too :D