Menu

Different Davidson question

What are the benefits of applying for a soon to be 15yo? I downloaded the application a couple of years ago, but since we've never done IQ testing, I didn't follow through. It would have been so much easier to do with a portfolio years ago, but I didn't. The reason I would have done it in the first place is to get some guidance and help with costs for the extras. Lots of talents aren't being developed as they should because of the costs. Any advice or BTDT?

What are the benefits of applying for a soon to be 15yo? I downloaded the application a couple of years ago' date=' but since we've never done IQ testing, I didn't follow through. It would have been so much easier to do with a portfolio years ago, but I didn't. The reason I would have done it in the first place is to get some guidance and help with costs for the extras. Lots of talents aren't being developed as they should because of the costs. Any advice or BTDT?[/quote']

I have a 10 year old who has had ballpark test scores and achievement (and portfolio items) that would indicate Davidson level, but I'm too cheap to do the actual testing. Given I'd have to pay about $2000 per child to test locally, I feel I'm better off just paying for enrichment.

Has your 15 year old taken the ACT or SAT? That would be the cheapest way to get qualifying test scores and then you'd have to still have a portfolio. I have friends locally that are DYS and they say the biggest benefits are social if your child is having a hard time finding a peer group. They will help with guidance, but I don't get the feeling they're offering much in the way of financing for enrichment type activities. We have an active GT homeschooling community locally, so doesn't feel necessary for us.

Maybe she can do a project and apply for a Davidson Fellowship? They're tremendously difficult to get, of course, but just doing a project could be really valuable. They have several different categories, including one for projects that don't really fit the other categories ("out of the box"), so whatever her academic strength is would probably suit a Davidson project.

I have a 10 year old who has had ballpark test scores and achievement (and portfolio items) that would indicate Davidson level, but I'm too cheap to do the actual testing. Given I'd have to pay about $2000 per child to test locally, I feel I'm better off just paying for enrichment.

You know that if you cannot financially afford testing, they will consider portfolio only. One of my closest friends just had her daughter accepted this way. I am considering it with one of my kids (he has the output to have stuff for a portfolio. My other son, who is possibly smarter, has little output or personal motivation... so I won't bother with him).

You should call them and ask.

Maybe she can do a project and apply for a Davidson Fellowship? They're tremendously difficult to get, of course, but just doing a project could be really valuable. They have several different categories, including one for projects that don't really fit the other categories ("out of the box"), so whatever her academic strength is would probably suit a Davidson project.

Thank you for the info. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult they are to get when you consider that they've got a pool of profoundly gifted to choose from. :tongue_smilie:

You know that if you cannot financially afford testing, they will consider portfolio only. One of my closest friends just had her daughter accepted this way. I am considering it with one of my kids (he has the output to have stuff for a portfolio. My other son, who is possibly smarter, has little output or personal motivation... so I won't bother with him).

You should call them and ask.

Thank you - this is something to consider.