Menu

MTM vs. Atelier Art

WIS0320

I've got to make a final decision and I'm leaning towards Atelier because I like the idea of DVD instruction. ;)

MTM looks great and it incorporates art history, even for young learners, which I really like. It is also *a lot* more affordable.

Which do you like and why?

I've owned (only one module) of Atelier. It was just okay. There are 18 lessons per level, and so far 8 levels. It could be used for more years if you did enjoy it.

I've decided against it for this year though. I currently own none of their materials and it was going to be $185 for one level (plus $150 or so each for any additional levels--for ART. And I would still have to get supplies. I don't think so...). My kids are 3+ years apart. I could get away with combing the older two, or the younger two, but would not get out of ordering at least two levels. It remains to be seen if Homeschool Buyer's Co-op actually does a group buy on this.

Sooo... I just bought Tracks A, B & C of the MTM 10+ level this morning. I have already printed and comb bound (There are print materials to go along with the video instruction) the Track A materials & bopped around the lessons a bit. It looks great so far, but I will definitely come back and give more details when I have looked at it more. I went ahead and ordered it today as it came to just over $2 a lesson. Not bad even if we only get to it once a month.

I'm not sure it will work out for by 7 yo, but he'll certainly be okay with it before the subscription expires. (I do have Artistic Pursuits I can use with him + I can check out library books etc.)

I haven't used MTM, but I've used 2 levels of Atelier and plan to buy the next one soon. I find it very easy to use and I'm very happy with how the projects turn out. The supplies are all very basic, so they are easy to have on hand.

The Homeschool Buyers Coop is working out a deal with Atelier right now. If that goes through, I will buy my next level then.

Lisa

Guest momk2000

We love MTM here!

I tried Atelier a couple of years ago, and it was ok. It was not worth the price tag, imo. I found the DVD lessons to be a bit dull. If it was a little more reasonably priced, maybe I would give it a better review.