Menu

Bright Beginnings Preschool Curriculum?

warriormom

Anyone have experience with Bright Beginnings Preschool Curriculum? Would you use it again? Is this a complete program? If not, what would you add? Which age is this appropriate for? I am thinking about buying this for my 3 year old since she wants to "do school".

I haven't used it, I hope somebody can answer who will. When I was originally looking, I got it confused with another workbook type curriculum, so didn't other looking at it. I only looked at it properly 2 days ago, to me, it looks brill. Unfortunately we already have a main curriculum, and we are outside of the US, so I couldn't be bothered purchasing, and having to wait ages to receive it, plus shipping rates.

I love the look of Mother Goose Time and Bright Beginnings preschool programs, if I lived in the US, I would purchase both in a heartbeat LOL.

I hope you get some info on it, I would love to hear more about it too.

We tried it for maybe half a year when my DD was 4. It is very complete in terms of pre-k skills and has many, many different activities. We gave it up because I just found I didn't like an "all in one" curriculum where every "subject" is scheduled out (aka, on Week 5, day 3 do this for bible, this for math, this for language, this for science, etc). I found myself wanting to go at a different pace in different areas. For example, my DD wasn't ready at 4 for a lot of the writing activities that were scheduled, but each day's math left her wanting more. You could skip around (doing the math on one page, the letter activities from another page, etc), but after trying that for a bit I decided I really just wanted each piece totally separate.

I still find that I am not an "all in one" type of person and need to have each subject separate. I tried Little Hands to Heaven by HOD for a couple months this past year with DS, and I had the exact same problem with that.

But, I have several friends that used it very successfully (and have gone on to use other similarly scheduled curricula like HOD or MFW). I have a couple other friends that bought to mainly use the "unit study" or topical portion of the curriculum and ignored most of the other activities.

Hope that helps!

Oh, I guess I didn't answer your question about age appropriateness. I think it is about right for most 3 to 4 year olds, other than maybe the handwriting suggestions. My DD and DS were not ready for letter writing practice at 3 -- DS4 is just starting to do some now, and DD still struggled with writing at 5. However, each child is different so some may be ready for those activities at 3, and if not, you could skip or modify those activities.

I have used Bright Beginnings with my twins for preschool. We started when they were 3 1/2 and they are now 4 1/2. We don't follow it strictly...you are supposed to do 4 or 5 activities each day...it just seemed that somedays they didn't want to do a particular activity or I knew a certain activity wouldn't hold their interest....so we skip around a bit rather than doing Bible every day, math every day, language arts every day, etc. There are some very good math ideas and language art activities so sometimes we do 5 or 6 of those on one day if they are in a "math" mood, for instance. It also has a section called God's World which has some interesting ideas that I wouldn't have thought of doing related to things like gardening, transportation, water, holidays, etc. We'll eventually work our way through most of those pages too. The Art section and Music section I haven't used at all...to me the activities seemed too obvious...it was stuff we were already doing every day. The Bible activities are pretty good...I intend to go back and do some that we skipped- mostly crafts related to Bible stories. The whole book is supposed to take a year to finish...we are spreading it out over 2 years of preschool. We also mix in Explode the Code, Developing the Early Learner workbooks, and Five in a Row, and lots of unit studies on things like states and art and poetry and other things so we mix it up a bit. If they get tired of one curriculum we move on to another for a few weeks. I hope this helps. This is my first time every posting on here!