Menu

Creative writing-topics?

Dmmetler

DD (6, accelerated) is doing MCT Island, and is working through MOH right now and writing a ton of poetry. But every single thing she writes is about the SAME topic-dragons and sea serpents. She's definitely demonstrating the concepts, but I'm wondering if I should start encouraging, or outright requiring different topics. She does fine with narration of history and fiction texts and writing ABOUT those topics when she needs to, but for creative writing, it all seems like she's trying to write the next Eragon.

Here are two examples: Rhyme

High upon a mountain ledge

On the world it seeks revenge

In his mouth there's fire within

Will the dragon strike again?

Alliteration

The slipper serpent swims across the sea

Which washes his scales when they are dirty

The serpent is swimming free

He leaps in the air happily.

I think kids that age are prone to go through phases of things they enjoy to play with, and in your dd's case, write about. I think she did a beautiful job with the assignments, and I would just let her enjoy the topics for now without worry. If you 'did' want to do some other creative assignments through the summer, a book like 'Unjournaling' might be a lot of fun for her to do. I posted an example of one of the assignments here. I am sure others will have suggestions as well. Good job!

I like your daughter's poetry a lot. Great job! I think I will agree with other ladies who suggested her to continue writing about dragons. If my son was writing, it would be about penguins or trains:)

May be we need to start a thread "Children's poems", where we would post the best one written by a child (your child can choose which one he/she likes the best:))

Edited by SneguochkaL