Menu

I forgot how to potty train a boy...help

Four of my dc have been potty trained by age three in a week.

With my first, I was the overzealous first time mom who put 100% effort into potty training. Ds was followed by three girls who were just as cooperative as could be in this department.

So now for my 5th dc, a boy, who is content with the fact he turned three six months ago, still wearing a diaper.

Yesterday I kicked myself in the behind and put some boxer briefs on him.

He was so proud and only had two accidents.

Today, he also had only two accidents.

But-he won't have a bm in the potty-he waits for his pull-up (I put this on after meals anticipating this may happen.)

Is this typical?

What do I do to help him? Just be patient and let him tell me? And when do I transition him to standing while using the potty instead of sitting?

Honestly-I feel like a first time mom here.

I've been too busy obsessing over my rising 9th graders' school plans for next year that I'm rather clueless on how to proceed with this little guy here.

help...:confused:

I am almost ready to say that my 3 yods is potty trained. Two weeks ago I finally got out my 2nd ds's old underwear with Spiderman, Bob the Builder and Batman. I followed my mom's advice and put him on the toilet before eating and again after eating giving him time to release his bowel. I only put a pull-up on him at night. He stays dry even if he takes a nap and most nights he has been dry but I'm not willing to chance it. My suggestion is to only use a pull up at night. I think that it sends mixed messages if you put a pull-up on him to use for his bowel movements. My oldest would only use a pull up until age 5. At that point dh stepped in and helped him. Trust me, you do NOT want to clean up after a 5 year old.

We had this problem with Tigger. I remember explaining that everyone does bm's in the toilet. He said, "even Grandad?" I said yes, but he didn't believe me so I called my f-i-l and asked him tell Tigger that he did his bm's in the toilet. My f-i-l laughed so hard, but finally pulled himself together enough to tell my ds that he used the toilet. From then on Tigger used the toilet. I am not sure it was worth it though - my dh's family teased me for several years ; )